Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: total interceptions 1.5
over 6 60.00%
under 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Lead or c/r with relative position

Situations like this example have been up lately a few times in MSNL , and it seems like most players there (and also Sklansky in his new book) prefer a c/r. Therefor I am intrested to see how you HSNL players look at this.

I definitely think leading is superior because all other lines show so much strength. One of the downside of course is that a c/r (or c/c) might get a continuation bet in and maybe a call or two or a raise in between.

The only time I prefer the c/r is if I or the PFR is like 50bbs deep.

Lets say for example:

What is your play here in general?

$1000 stacks

Party 5/10 6-handed

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG raises to 40, 1 fold, CO calls, Button calls, 1 fold, Hero calls

Flop: ($165, 4 players) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero..?

Comments on the subject are appreciated, as well as maybe some circumstances that change your standard option to the other one, for example flop structures or player types involved.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Lead or c/r with relative position

So very player dependant; I hate the c/r though (almost never do that), but I'm definately c/c:ing a fair amount here.

How I play here has much to do with the players tendencies to fire 3-barrels etc.

Against bad/non-thinking (preferably not aggro enough to fire away 3-barrels) players it is just fine leading away, but good ones will realize if you overdo this since the board is so dry.

I like a c/c, hoping that turn tours out to be a somewhat connected card and a backdoorflushdraw, so that I can lead turn and represent a pair that turned into a combodraw which I opted not to c/r. This will make player raise you w/ both good and bad hands alike thinking you have exactly what you represent, which is of course a good result.

Against players 3-barreling alot I might just c/c 2 streets occasionally/from time to time, and c/r river obv depending on how turn/river turned out.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 AM

I've been doing alot of thinking about three-handed pots with a preflop raiser you are out of position against. Position is of course only one consideration in deciding whether to check or lead with a strong hand, but I believe preference should be given in something like this order:

LEAD
1) Hero - Caller - PFraiser
2) Hero - PFraiser - Caller (above)
3) Caller - Hero - PFraiser (above)
CHECK

This is assuming that our PF raiser is aggressive and the caller is solid.

Conversely, when leading with draws and marginal hands positional considerations are reversed.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 AM

player dependent though. if you have someone who is going to raise us here thinking we've have a marginal hand or that we're playing weak and would automatically lay down most one pair hands. then i would bet, get raised, call prb and lead the turn. if he's cbetting 100% of the time, i would cc and hope a good double barrel card falls, if it does, i might check again, if not, i would usu lead the turn i think (again player dependent, but probably less so since by this point in the hand)
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 AM

Actually I thought this hand was with only two or max three players. Three barreling doesn't really become much of an option/issue when it's 4 to the flop, since PFR generally isn't betting missed into 3 guys, at least not when two guys haven't acted yet.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM

I also misread the post and thought it was three-handed. That pretty much makes my post meaningless.

The more players the more I would tend to lead, for obvious reasons:
1) greater possibility someone has a strong second best hand
2) greater possibility a straight draw is out there
3) lesser possibility of the preflop raiser betting for you when he misses the flop
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM

Oh man, it depends on so many things. Right now we know nothing of either three players and your history at the table.

Against standard loose/overplaying players, check-raising the field seems good; as the raiser is to your immediate left.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Depends....

if I am against a bad player, I like to check raise. If I am against a solid player, I like to lead.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 PM

checking with the intention of raising is worlds different than checking with the intention of calling.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM

leading this flop looks pretty strong to me...