Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Party 0.50/1.00 - Isolation raise

This is a hand I think I played well - I think I made the right decisions for the right reasons too. Let me know what you think, because if I'm way off, that's way bad.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

This was an isolation raise for MP3 who is a loose and weak player. I don't have much practice with this idea, but this seemed like a good place as I'm more often than not doing very well against his range.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

I didn't expect to take down the pot against this loose passive player, but I bet here to set up a free card play w/ my flush, gutshot and A outs.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Took a free card.

River: (4.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>.

I figured this was a good value bet b/c I would be likely to get called by any pair as a bet from LP on the river when it checked through the turn looks like a bluff, especially to loose players.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Party 0.50/1.00 - Isolation raise

This is exactly how I play this mofo.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 AM

I play it this way with or without reads. You can isolate with much worse if the blinds are weak and MP3 doesn't c/r or bluff much postflop.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Turn check is alright, but I think your hand is good enough to bet. A lot of the time you will take it down there as people fear face cards more than a coordinated board. You also have a bajillion outs to make your hand. If you didn't have the nut flush draw and a gut shot straight draw I would be happier with a check on the turn and check behind on the river (ui).
Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 PM

I'd bet that turn too, you're way above 50% to win this and you're making 1/3 of the bets, assuming 2 callers. It's still even with 1. I think this hand is covered in SSHE.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 PM

3 outs to TP
3 outs to Str8
3 outs to middle pair
9 outs to Nut flush

Bet the turn. There's a good chance you will take it here (because they know the Q could easily have helped your hand), and I wouldn't mind taking the pot right here.

I would bet the turn even without the gutshot.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM

This is fine but I probably bet one more time on the turn though.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that depends somewhat on whether you intend to call a river bet UI.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that depends somewhat on whether you intend to call a river bet UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you only bet say against 1 opponent here? I dont think I am calling a river bet UI here. I figure that here even if we are called by both player here we are about 30% to make a straight, flush, or a pair of A's on the river and we are putting in about 33% percent of the money in here and there is the possiblity both players fold to the turn bet sometimes.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:46 PM

I think our equity against their ranges is going to be much better on the turn (even if they both call) than it will be on a blank river. If I'm going to be calling a bet on a blank river, I'd much rather bet now when things are better for us (leaving the option of betting the river when improved) than on the river UI. If we bet now and then get donked on a blank river, or c/r'd and then bet at on the river, we have a super easy fold.

This hand is actuallly very very similar to the one I analyzed in my 10k post. With two players, though, we should be more inclined to check, as we're much more likely to be behind. In my post, we were about 50% to be ahead. If that's true for each opponent here, then we're only 25% to be ahead, AND we're less likely to fold the a better hand. I think this is probably a check against most players. I brought up this point in part to ask if OP was calling a bet on the river, and because my 10k post was awesome.