Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Landis Cheated

As much as I hate to admit it. The NY Times reports that the testosterone was synthetic. Sad.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Landis Cheated

The bicycle is the real loser here.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:36 PM

In a way, I like it. Just because effing Greg LeMond the turncoat and his constant hating on Armstrong continues to go unfounded, but his steadfast support and hyping of Landis as "the first clean winner in a while" nonsense gets shoved right up his a-hole.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a way, I like it. Just because effing Greg LeMond the turncoat and his constant hating on Armstrong continues to go unfounded, but his steadfast support and hyping of Landis as "the first clean winner in a while" nonsense gets shoved right up his a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it because Lemond's been saying "tell the truth" all week. How was he so sure that he wasn't telling the truth all along? It's one thing to talk about that crap on here, but to call him out in public. That's BS.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 AM

He was probably so sure because virtually all cyclists have cheat when they think they can get away with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 AM

Lemond was a cyclist when supposedly everyone was using epo...so doesnt that mean that most likely Lemond was using
Old 08-05-2006, 12:58 PM

It's been confirmed by the test of the "B" sample. The testosterone was synthetic. Landis was fired by Phonek and will likely be stripped of the TDF title.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=2539409
Old 08-05-2006, 04:26 PM

There are a couple stories that I haven't seen anywhere in the media which really need to be told: For one thing, what kind of difference in performance would taking synthetic testosterone ONCE make? For another, what kind of safeguards are applied to the samples?

I mean, Landis has been tested on other occasions. I think I heard this morning that he'd been tested like eight times during the TdF. When baseball was going through the steroid stuff, you'd hear about guys doing 'cycles' of stuff for days or weeks at a time. Is one shot of testy really a wonder drug?

If it doesn't make that much of a difference, it makes me wonder about the integrity of the testing process. It might not be all that hard to 'spike' a sample. What does the UCI do to ensure that somebody in the chain with a hardon for Landis (or Americans, or Phonaks or whatever) doesn't tamper with it?

It's impossible to know for sure if Landis cheated or not. I will say that I feel bad for him, and a lot of guys who've been suspended or at least had their reputation tarnished, just because it's so hard to prove that you're innocent.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a couple stories that I haven't seen anywhere in the media which really need to be told: For one thing, what kind of difference in performance would taking synthetic testosterone ONCE make? For another, what kind of safeguards are applied to the samples?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my initial question as well. The answer is that it's relatively common for pro cyclists to wear testosterone patches on their scrotum in the evenings between stages (no, I'm not making this up), and it is used to aid recovery rather than the kind of muscle-building benefits that we usually associate with testosterone or steroids.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was my initial question as well. The answer is that it's relatively common for pro cyclists to wear testosterone patches on their scrotum in the evenings between stages (no, I'm not making this up), and it is used to aid recovery rather than the kind of muscle-building benefits that we usually associate with testosterone or steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I figured. It would have to be used more for recovery and not a strength or endurance benefit. The only thing I question about this positive test though is that Landis was tested both before and after this one positive test and all of those tests come back negative.

Is the scenario, that the night before the stage he won he takes the substance (or wears a patch) and then wins the next day, but ONLY tests positive on that day's sample? Wouldn't he test positive on subsequent days after that positive test as well? Seems like that much testosterone would stay in the system for a little while. Doesn't make sense, but perhaps this is a certain dose that more readily leaves the system.