Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM

Default When to lead in to a PF raiser?

Just wondering about some situations where it's good to lead into a pf raiser?
What kind of hand/pf raiser/flop combo?

On a similar note, what kind of hand/pf raiser/flop combo is good for c/r-ing a flop?

Cheers,
JA
Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: When to lead in to a PF raiser?

Specific hands are more helpful. But leading into a preflop raiser with a set when you think he has TPTK or a big pair is a common play.

And I'll sometimes CR a semi-weak hand like T9 on a 25T flop hand OOP from the blinds versus a few opponents if it checks around to a LP player who bets on what looks to me like just a steal.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 PM

I agree leading in to the pf raiser with a set (figuring he has TPTK or overpair) is a common play, and probably also one of the best plays. However, if you are a player making alot of moves, let's say you do a lot of checkraising, then I think a checkraise is a great option here. Especially against aware players I find that checkraising often gets the most money in the pot.

For example, I very often checkraise any hand I want to continue playing when I have called from the blinds. If I do this a lot my opponent will not see checkraising as a particulary strong move and I find it likely he will put me all in. If I lead and he raises he might be able to "sniff" a set and get away when I push. I guess you could say, like always in poker, that it depends... Because it really does.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM

It also depends on Villain's PF percentage and tendency to c-bet.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 PM

The people check-raising sets and two pair, are you also c-r'ing drawing hands and pushing most turns?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:24 PM

I dont really like to check raise much. Check raising puts to many people on the defensive if you have a big hand. I like to check raise bluff sometimes because it gets more value for your bluff and makes people fold semi strong hands they might have called a lead out bet with.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 PM

I think it's a necessity to do a lot of checkraising with other stuff, yes. It depends a lot do, and of course varies a lot for any given situation. At live play I like to check-raise with air against tighter opponents and then showing everyone the bluff. Amazing how some less aware opponents go crazy when you checkraise them with your set later [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Online however you can't be sure of anyone noticing anything, wich I think might be an argument against the c/r. Yet, at otherimes you may run into a rather interesting breed of players who seem to simply refuse laying down their hands to checkraises.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:47 PM

Indeed. Generally speaking tho, my experience is that most ppl c-bet at least 50-60%. As said, a lot of things "depends" and I wouldn't suggest checkraising a set without checkraising a lot of other stuff. That said, if you do, I believe it might be a great move checkraising a set. I think it's rather simple, if a b3b from you is seen as a "stronger" move than a c/r then go for the c/r, if reversed... Well then stick to the b3b or whatever it might be.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering about some situations where it's good to lead into a pf raiser?
What kind of hand/pf raiser/flop combo?

On a similar note, what kind of hand/pf raiser/flop combo is good for c/r-ing a flop?

Cheers,
JA

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good hands:

A very important factor to take into account is stack sizes. Against a small or medium-to-small stack, a checkraise is gonna be your higher percentage play. The PFR will almost definitely bet and after your checkraise his stack will be so small he'd be compelled to call.

When stacks are deep, you're better off leading into the PFR. What often happens is he feels that he has to make a very big raise and then can't get away from the hand when he gets 3bet.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 AM

Ahh .. awesome point about stack sizes and c/r'ing Jack.