Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Default c/t: Making big monies with the Whale

Whats up SSNL crew

As you all have read (and if you haven't, you need to), Fimbulwinter put together a pretty sweet set of guidelines for moving up limits. You can find that list of guidelines here.

Munkey, a good new poster, is analyzing fim's stuff... he made a killer post a little while ago that you should check out here.

Fimbulwinters guidelines weren't right for me though... I took shots too aggressively and without the proper confidence and skill to play at higher limits, and when I ran bad, my confidence was lost and I doubted whether or not I could even beat the game at its lowest limits. I thought about giving it up.
However, now, my poker career has taken me a long way from my trip (and subsequent return trips) to busto... I recently moved from 25nl to 50nl to 100nl to 200nl in a couple of months (beginning of june until now), and I am going to dabble in 400nl very shortly I think. How did I do it? How can you do it???
Here is my easy to follow plan:
Playing winning poker is about two things-- confidence and skill.

PART 1: Confidence
For me, I gained confidence from having two things: a complete bankroll and an absolute knowledge that I am a winning player. The only way to be sure you're a winning player at any given limit is to beat that limit consistently for a considerable number of hands... so thats what you are going to do. Play the limit you're at for 20k hands AT LEAST.. When you're done, check your ptbb/100... if you don't think its high enough, do it again.

Thats a lot of playing you say? Well... a lot of playing results in a lot of skill.

PART 2: Skill
So now you've been playing a lot (like I did), and lets say after 20k hands of 25nl 6max you beat the game for 4ptbb/100 (like I did). Well you weren't satisfied with that, so you played another 20k hands and raised that to 6ptbb. Now, you decide to move up. Well you now have the confidence of beating the game for 40k hands, and the skill of 40k hands... which should be more than enough improvement to your game to help you crush the next limit up for 20k hands. Plus, now you KNOW that if you ever need to move down for any reason... you can beat the 25nl game. You have the data (and money) to prove it.

Ah, yes... the good stuff. Money. 5ptbb/100 hands for 20k hands comes out to be 1000ptbb, or 2000 big blinds, or 20 buyins. Lets say we started with 20 buyins... that now gives us 40 buyins... or enough to be rolled for the next limit up.

I 6table 6max, and I play a couple hours a day on average. I can play 20k hands every two weeks. This is the fast track to a massive bankroll while creating a confident and skilled poker player.

Quick recap-
1)start with at least 20 buyins for your limit.
2)Play 20k hands and evaluate.
3)If satisfied with PTBB/100, move up. If not, repeat step 2.
4)Repeat step 1.

Oh, and posting a lot on 2p2 doesn't hurt either.

See you all at the top.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: c/t: Making big money with the Whale

Nooooooooo i did a Pokey

[censored]
Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nooooooooo i did a Pokey

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

AAHAHAHAHAH LOL
Old 07-29-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nooooooooo i did a Pokey

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

AAHAHAHAHAH LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a pokey?

Anyway, This is one way of doing it and the more sensile one. But I think instead of moving striaght up to 50NL from 25NL and not looking back you should set a loss limit - say 5 buyins. Move back down if you lose it to rebuild.

Variance could get you but its not too likely and you should be able to stay up with your shots if you are skilled
Old 07-29-2006, 06:26 PM

BW good post.

However, 6 PTBB/100 at 25NL is not very good. You can do 10 PTBB/100 at that level with a nitty TAG style. Perhaps you know that and just like playing LAG for fun and practice, that's cool, just making sure you know.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:41 PM

2400 < 2500

Close.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nooooooooo i did a Pokey

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

AAHAHAHAHAH LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a pokey?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nooooooooo i did a Pokey

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember this one...

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you are interested in loosening up your game, I hope this was somewhat of a brief outline. It's not as long as Pokey's... but then again, Pokey can't count to 1600.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM

Baluga - tl;dr ...

well OK I sort of skimmed it and then read it properly when it turned out that it had good stuff inside.

"Confidence is the preference for the habitual player of what is known as (Pokerlife!)" as Blur almost said once.

Be confident - be positive - be aggressive - and you'll tend to win a lot more than you lose.

Of course you need some kind of skill to know when to be aggressive - who to apply the thumbscrews to and when - and what cards are pretty to look at but useless to play.

My new improved theorem of Poker playing states:

"If you are not confident that you are the best player sitting at the table - then get up and find a table where you are"

Balanced against that always be brutally honest with yourself about exactly how good you really are - realise that no matter how hot you run or how much you learn there is always much more to still discover about poker - there is no substitute for experience at some point in their lives every player who hs played the game knew less about poker than you do now, there is no shame in slugging it out at the low low limits (which in comparison to higher limits are much easier to beat cos people are soooo loose) building up a bankroll and building your confidence.

Learn to stand up - then learn to stand up well then learn to walk, run, stand on your head turn cartwheels and run rings around other players later...
Old 08-31-2006, 05:24 PM

bump b/c its not in the sticky.