Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Poker Superstars 3, 7-24

Great episode for fans of that kerrrrrazy Gus Hansen.

Best bit: Gus warns the table not to raise his blind and he gets a walk. Next hand, Hellmuth warns the table not to raise his blind either, and Gus casually shoves his whole stack in without looking at his cards, with one hand, whilst whistling.

Gus ends up pushing literally every hand until they are 3 handed.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Poker Superstars 3, 7-24

very good episode. Reminds of a couple of years ago when gus was dominating the WPT. TV poker could use more Gus Hansen.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM

I thought this was one of the better episodes. Really, everybody at the table played well.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was one of the better episodes. Really, everybody at the table played well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny considering there was about 2% real poker played the entire episode.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny considering there was about 2% real poker played the entire episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's funny is that you seem to think "no postflop play" is equivalent to "no strategy considerations."

I was pretty entertained. I agree that everyone played well. Hellmuth is hilarious.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 AM

would love eto ear more deep analisys on Gus strategy.
Howard said that understand the structure very well, and because he needed first, and first only, that was the correct play.
Also was interesting to see Aussie Hachem with that face off: No way Gus is doing this.
Amazing situation.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's funny is that you seem to think "no postflop play" is equivalent to "no strategy considerations."

I was pretty entertained. I agree that everyone played well. Hellmuth is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, say what you want about the lack of postflop play, but there is a lot of strategy and interesting decisionmaking involved in this format. I enjoy watching it.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Last time I checked there are cards and betting rounds. What makes it not poker?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to play well when the blinds are an hour away from eating you alive.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to play well when the blinds are an hour away from eating you alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is. We have a whole forum devoted to how one can play well in this situation. You really think everyone there is an expert SNG player?

I think the tournament format makes it an interesting strategy game. The players have to think differently than they would in a "normal" tournament, even one with very fast blinds.

I do find PSI much less interesting once it gets past the round-robin stage, because then it just turns into another random high-blind tournament, and those are a dime a dozen.

I like HSP the most of any poker show, because I enjoy cash game play and deep-stack play. But I think PSI gets less credit than it should for generating some interesting situations and forcing good players to adjust their thinking.