Default $11: AKs against Big Stack, TPTK on flop, he pushes

Blinds were 50/100
UTG 5000
HERO (MP) 4000
CO 2000
BTN 800
SB 1200
BB 1600

UTG raises to 500, I call with AKs (push?). Everyone else folds.

Flop- K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](pot about 1200)
UTG pushes all-in for 4000+...

No reads on UTG, or how he got the huge stack. This is on Doyle's Room, BTW.

I thought I was likely tying, against a weaker king, or against a straight/flush draw, so I called. Of course he could be going crazy with two-pair, or set (KK and 22 being very unlikely, KQ a little unlikely). And I didn't consider at the time he also could have AA.

Should I just preserve my stack here even though there's a decent chance I'm ahead?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: $11: AKs against Big Stack, TPTK on flop, he pushes

This type of question is really hard in the $11s I think, because people make the silliest moves with every kind of crazy hand. Definitely being up against another top pair hand is a possibility, KJ or something. AQ seems like a reasonable possibility. Some aces wouldn't surprise me too much here either, along with JJ or TT or even 99. And people love to shove flush draws.

AA,KK,QQ are also possiblities. It shouldn't be those, because this seems like such a terrible way to play them, but at this level it's certainly possible.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM

I think given these stack sizes you should let it go.

Your stack is great, and the big stack could have anything. I doubt he would push here with absolutly nothing, but nothing at the 11s surprises me without reads.

If your stack was half the size I would probably call it, but the shape you ae in without it is just too good imo.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 PM

Pushing preflop is really bad, I probably flatcall also. I really don't know whether you should call this flop, he could have all sorts of crap you beat here. On the other hand I don't know if the times you stack him outweigh the times you bust with this very nice stack.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing preflop is really bad

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it really bad?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it really bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your risking your very nice stack of 4000 to win 650, its just not worth it. Your ahead of his range here but the risk/reward is not there. I'd love to be able to prove this with maths, but I can't so you'll just have to take my word for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it really bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your risking your very nice stack of 4000 to win 650, its just not worth it. Your ahead of his range here but the risk/reward is not there. I'd love to be able to prove this with maths, but I can't so you'll just have to take my word for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, can't take ur word for it. 650 in the middle is like having blinds of 200/400. Certainly could push AK with those blind levels because the reward is there. Now, the risk totally depends on this range, which is read dependent. Either way, I don't see how a push is REALLY bad.

However, a flat call isn't terrible with position. But, if you think his range is such that you can't push, I'd just fold.

If you do choose to flat call, you can't fold when you hit top pair top kicker can you?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM

wow, any kind of read here as to how he got that chip stack/how hes played nearly any hand would be crucial. This sure looks like a frustrated JJ, some sort of KJ/K10 hand, or maybe a flush draw, because even the worse of donks know when they are killing the action while holding 2 pair/sets. I would call this at the 10's with out a read because theres just too few of players out there that are open pushing with monsters using their reverse psychology way of thinking. but again ANY kind of read would make this decision so much easier.

* i wouldnt push preflop either
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, any kind of read here as to how he got that chip stack/how hes played nearly any hand would be crucial. This sure looks like a frustrated JJ, some sort of KJ/K10 hand, or maybe a flush draw, because even the worse of donks know when they are killing the action while holding 2 pair/sets. I would call this at the 10's with out a read because theres just too few of players out there that are open pushing with monsters using their reverse psychology way of thinking. but again ANY kind of read would make this decision so much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I think I'm overthinking this and giving villain too much credit for a hand that beats us. I call.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM

at the $11's, without a read (i suggest you get one, they're v.nice) i dont like folding here.

but something sits wrong with me risking the entire stack to earn 650.

edit: (i should write what i'm thinking) should we take the risk here when we're probably going to be able to outplay the entire table ten times over with our tasty stack ?