Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Lack of Correlation Between # of Posts and Level of Play

I have lately first begun to notice the lack of correlation between level of play and post number for many of the players on this forum. Of course many of the top players have reached pooh-bah status, but I know of multiple sucessful 215'ers that have not posted near that much. I don't want to turn this into a brag post although I am sure this will be flamed, but I am soon to move up to the 109's and have relatively few posts myself and have only been involved here for 6 months.

On the other hand there are some posters with pooh-bah status that have been around for a year+ are still stuck at the 22's and 33's. I am not trying to flame on these players as their posts and insight are a very valuable part of this forum. But, what I am wondering is that why they are still at lower levels after spending so much time learning on here. Do these players post much more often than playing? Have monthly expenses and just don't have the BI to move up? Just don't have the innate ability to be a great player? Or are they plenty happy at the limit they are at with no need for the money?

I am just interested in this, b/c until recently I had the assumption that everyone with a large number of posts must be a high buyin STT'er and those with few posts normally not as successful.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Correlation Between # of Posts and Level of Play

[ QUOTE ]
I have lately first begun to notice the lack of correlation between level of play and post number for many of the players on this forum. Of course many of the top players have reached pooh-bah status, but I know of multiple sucessful 215'ers that have not posted near that much. I don't want to turn this into a brag post although I am sure this will be flamed, but I am soon to move up to the 109's and have relatively few posts myself and have only been involved here for 6 months.

On the other hand there are some posters with pooh-bah status that have been around for a year+ are still stuck at the 22's and 33's. I am not trying to flame on these players as their posts and insight are a very valuable part of this forum. But, what I am wondering is that why they are still at lower levels after spending so much time learning on here. Do these players post much more often than playing? Have monthly expenses and just don't have the BI to move up? Just don't have the innate ability to be a great player? Or are they plenty happy at the limit they are at with no need for the money?

I am just interested in this, b/c until recently I had the assumption that everyone with a large number of posts must be a high buyin STT'er and those with few posts normally not as successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey screw u buddy

Indy
Old 07-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Haha, I mean all the best to you Indy. I know you have a job that you enjoy and offers you the lifestyle you like. Plus you provided the gift which is one of the best things this forum has seen.

Should I assume that you just enjoy this recreationally and to pick up a little cash?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Correlation. There is none. It is absurd to think there was.

Add to that that those with many posts most likely post a lot of posts that don't have anything to do with strategy (zoo, NVG, WSOP etc).

That doesn't change the fact that we all are very proud of you for moving to the 109 with so few posts of course. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I mean all the best to you Indy. I know you have a job that you enjoy and offers you the lifestyle you like. Plus you provided the gift which is one of the best things this forum has seen.

Should I assume that you just enjoy this recreationally and to pick up a little cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

jws, I make right around $750/week playing 15 hours of poker on average. I feel that I've done well and worked hard to get to that point. My personal goal is to play a few more hours per week and move up in limits. I also want to get back into MTTs.

Indy
Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey screw u buddy

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I used to post too much w/o thinking. Stuff like OOT and some trolling. I've since gotten better. Look I personally crush the 22s and 33s and 50s HU matches and I've won some big tourneys and stuff as well as a seat to the WSOP. There are a few excuses that I have for not moving up and being a "curtains" type player:

1. I've only been playing poker for 2.5 years and it really does take 3-4 years of hard work to get as good as curtains. Sure, people will move up faster than that and some will make $$$ but that doesn't mean they are good.

2. I have a full time job and a wife that occupy my time so I only get to play 12-16 hours a week before she starts threatening divorce (my wife isn't that cool about poker to be honest).

3. I work so hard at my day job that I'm tired when I get home and don't play my best.

4. I have a lot of $$ and don't need the poker income.

5. I'm lazy and would rather just crush the weaker players.

Now, having said all that, I really have improved a lot over the past 3-4 months. I bought SNGPT, PT, and hired multiple coaches. I am beating up on the 22s and 33s still but I've learned to multitable. I plan to spend another month at the 33s playing 4 at a time and then move up to the 55s and stay there for a year. I will also start playing the $100 HU matches on stars.

I have also started posting and reading posts more seriously and most of the time I try to think before I post. I do fail at this some times and often post while trying to work which is tough.

Indy
Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 AM

I dont know how lorinda is doing now, but for a long time she played at buyins waaay below her skill level.

The Shadow was one of the better posters on here, and he only made a small handful of them that i can think of.

Ive got an early reg date but following a 10 month break from poker am 4 tabling the 10+1s on full tilt.

Skill, reg date, post amount or even buy ins - there is no real correlation between any of them.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know how lorinda is doing now, but for a long time she played at buyins waaay below her skill level.

The Shadow was one of the better posters on here, and he only made a small handful of them that i can think of.

Ive got an early reg date but following a 10 month break from poker am 4 tabling the 10+1s on full tilt.

Skill, reg date, post amount or even buy ins - there is no real correlation between any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on there is some correlation between skill and post count, but how correlated is the question. Statistically, with a good sized sample, correlation coefficient estimates will easily have significant pvalues. How correlated is the question. I'd say that a .5 correlation estimate being significant is not so unlikely.

Indy
Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 AM

There definitely is some correlation, and I think some have to post more depending on their situation. I had a roomate who was fairly adept to discuss hands with, so oftentimes I did not post them. Now I have made friends with several players and I throw some questions their way. Others would have this forum as the only option to discuss poker strategy.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:49 AM

OP,

There's no correlation between number of posts and level of play. There is usually some correlation between quality of posts and level of play.
Closed Thread