Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

I found it funny that Negreanu was ragging Matusow for playing on borrrowed money and then asks Laak for $100,000 loan as he is leaving.

I know the logistics of carrying large amounts of cash around are tough but if Negreanu is going to play every hand, call every raise and look everyone up shouldn't he be prepared to get more cash? How about giving Laak a check? How about carrying around a handful of cranberries (Bellagio $25,000 chips). I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM

Big Difference between DN and MM. DN was not being hypocritical. MM did not have the money for the buy in, so he had to be staked (at least that is what DN was inferring), whereas DN just didn't have the extra rebuy on him at the time (but he actually has the money). A loan on the fly is completely different then staking a player for a game, in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I don't understand how the big boys work, but I would never borrow money to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize its standard becauuse Buss borrowed $50,000 from Negreanu, but as a business man it seems like you should bring the amount of cash you are prepared to lose.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize its standard becauuse Buss borrowed $50,000 from Negreanu, but as a business man it seems like you should bring the amount of cash you are prepared to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Maybe DN lost a couple hundred thou at a side game before taping and didn't want to leave the table to get more cash? Don't forget that this show really took place in long sessions over 2 days. It's not like they played a few hours, went home, and came back again day after day.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Maybe DN lost a couple hundred thou at a side game before taping and didn't want to leave the table to get more cash? Don't forget that this show really took place in long sessions over 2 days. It's not like they played a few hours, went home, and came back again day after day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the loose system of loans is there is downside with no real upside. What if you loan someone money and they suddenly die before you get paid back? There is no signed note and many cases their may not even be witnesses. Plus, sometimes a guy will get paid back but it may take much longer and their doesn't seem to be any compensation for the time value of money. Gus Hansen?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the loose system of loans is there is downside with no real upside. What if you loan someone money and they suddenly die before you get paid back? There is no signed note and many cases their may not even be witnesses. Plus, sometimes a guy will get paid back but it may take much longer and their doesn't seem to be any compensation for the time value of money. Gus Hansen?

[/ QUOTE ]

So they're on the honor system. Big deal. 100k isn't going to break Laak or DN.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can afford to loan someone $100,000 like that then you aren't concerned that he won't pay. Even if he keeled over at the table at the very least you'd have a great story to tell for the rest of your days and you'd probably make it back over time in comps and freebies.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 AM

WHY ARE YOU SOOOOOO WORRIED ABOUT THIS??????
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he means it's standard that you don't understand how high stakes players roll, and that your position on borrowing money is the exact opposite of theirs, because you are not a high stakes player, and probably never will be.
In short, he's calling you an idiot.