Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Ask Vulturesrow about life aboard an aircraft carrier...

...and related topics.

My background: Naval Flight Officer (think Goose from Top Gun) with close to 1000 flight hours, most of that in the EA-6B and some hours in a smattering of other aircraft. Ive flown missions over both Iraq and Afghanistan (and I may as well warn you now that I cant talk much about those missions other than in the most generic terms). Im a designated tactics instructor as well. I'll answer any question asked but if I decline to answer one, its not personal, I just cant answer that particular question. I ask that you refrain from asking regarding the political aspects of the military. If you think its a gray area, fire away and Ill probably answer.

PS There are others like me floating around 2+2 but I wont out them right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There is a also an exsubmariner, but I think his cover is blown. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Ask Vulturesrow about life aboard an aircraft carrier...

Well... I'll bite.

Have you ever killed a man?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 AM

No. My primary aircraft does jamming missions. So the chance of me killing a man is pretty small.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. My primary aircraft does jamming missions

[/ QUOTE ]

EA6B's? Are those even still around? I was in VAQ-137 back in the late 70's out of Whidbey as an administrative enlisted man. Made 3 cruises on the now defunct USS America. I later went to OCS and became a surface line officer. After seeing both sides of the fence I find your surface line douchebaggery comment uniformed. There are (were anyway) enough douchebags to go around from both the surface and aviation communities.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EA6B's? Are those even still around? I was in VAQ-137 back in the late 70's out of Whidbey as an administrative enlisted man. Made 3 cruises on the now defunct USS America. I later went to OCS and became a surface line officer. After seeing both sides of the fence I find your surface line douchebaggery comment uniformed. There are (were anyway) enough douchebags to go around from both the surface and aviation communities.

[/ QUOTE ]

EA-6Bs are definitely still around. As far as my comment goes, it was intended somewhat tongue in cheek, but with a grain of truth. Are there bad officers in Aviation, absolutely and there are absolutely good officers in the Surface community. What it really boils down to is that the culture of the two communities is really quite different in my experience. But if I offended you, please accept my sincere apology. As I said, it was mostly a tongue in cheek remark, but that sort of thing doesnt translate well on the IntraWeb. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 AM

No offense at all! Like I said I met plenty of major class jerks on both sides. I'm far removed from the Navy now. The biggest A-hole I ever met was a surface guy. My first Department Officer. The stick was so far up even surgury wouldn't have helped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But my second CO in the squadron was strongly in the race as was the squadron Master Chief. The military has strange effects on some people.

The Navy is something I'm really glad I did but not something I would want to do again if that makes any sense. But good luck to you as I and I'm sure many others really appreciate what you are doing!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EA-6Bs are definitely still around. As far as my comment goes, it was intended somewhat tongue in cheek, but with a grain of truth. Are there bad officers in Aviation, absolutely and there are absolutely good officers in the Surface community. What it really boils down to is that the culture of the two communities is really quite different in my experience. But if I offended you, please accept my sincere apology. As I said, it was mostly a tongue in cheek remark, but that sort of thing doesnt translate well on the IntraWeb. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

......regarding 'bad officers'. Try this mixture on for size:

VRC50 - Late 60's/early 70's. Homeported at Atsugi Naval Air station a bit outside of Yokahama, Japan.

Detachments in Cubi Point, PI and Danang, VN.

Aircraft - C2A. Guppy bellied twin engine turboprop. Pilot, Co-pilot and 2 crewmen.

Mission - High priority passengers & cargo between Danang, Cubi Point and the 'line' in the South China Sea.

Officer compliment - Probably the highest ratio of officers to enlisted men in any squadron in the Navy. Most were Lt.Cmdrs....and most of them had been passed over 3 times, so that was it for them as far as advancement.

We called it an officer "shitcan" squadron. That's where the Navy sent their pilots that were not fit to be promoted.

Whaddya think? Perhaps a bit of a problem with some of these guys?

Add to that, probably 1/2 of the enlisted men were non-career (mostly enlisted to avoid being drafted and ending up a grunt}.

Toss in all the politcal turmoil going on back home regarding the legitimacy of the war.

Throw in a dash of every drug available to man for next to nothing......

The squadron dissolved into young (both young non-career pilots and enlisted men) and old (bitter officers and frustrated career enlisted men).

It was a constant war and a recipe for insanity piled upon inanity.......
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 AM

How long are you out to sea when you are gone?

How many take-offs and landings go on a day?

Have you ever witnessed any crashes?

What do you miss the most when you're gone?

Is it really loud on deck and do you like your job?

Can you make phone calls home anytime you want?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long are you out to sea when you are gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical deployment is 6 months but those 6 months are preceded by a series of exercises to get ready to deploy. These involve lots of time away from home as well. Most people find this harder than the actualy deployment.

[ QUOTE ]
How many take-offs and landings go on a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

The real answer is it depends. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But somewhere in the neighborhood of 120.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever witnessed any crashes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did witness one on my first deployment. It was a very sobering experience. 4 people that were friends of mine have died in crashes since Ive been in the Navy.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you miss the most when you're gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Family. The toughest was probably missng the birth of my second daughter.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really loud on deck and do you like your job?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is extremely loud during flight operations. I love my job but hate dealing with the Navy bureaucracy.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you make phone calls home anytime you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Its possible to call home from the boat, but its not something you can generally do whenever you please. They do have some "payphones" but frankly in this day and age of email its not really worth it.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 AM

Have you ever known a gay sailor/airman on the carrier? Did it bother you?

I ask becuase I hear it's more frequent than people think. Sorry that was maybe politics but I think it's more of a personal q.

If you want to answer a political one though I'd also ask how you feel about Don't ask don't tell. Are you in favor of it or no? If not then would you favor a total ban or no ban at all? Thanks.