Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Young players to keep an eye on

Give me players I probably never heard of and that you think I/we should watch. Either young players from your country or playing in your national league.

I'll get things started:

Manuel Fernandes - Benfica, 20 years old
Defensive midfielder, fantastic tactically and technically. Mourinho said he's much better than Makele ever was at his age and that he's definately a future world class player. He was named on the best young players in the champions league this season along with guys like Messi and Fabregas (he also scored one of the best goals in the CL this year against Villareal).
There's rumours that he's moving to England this year but I'm hopping Benfica will hold on to him at least another year.

I found a video, it gives you a good idea of his technical quality and his long range shot. Obviously his most important qualities (defensive ability, tactical awareness) aren't show in this type of video.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Young players to keep an eye on

Jonathan Papelbon - Leading closer in the MLB, and has the makings of a strong starter in the future

F. Liriano - I know nothing about him, but I hear he's doing really good things in Minnesota. (9-1ish, sub 4.0 era)
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jonathan Papelbon - Leading closer in the MLB, and has the makings of a strong starter in the future

F. Liriano - I know nothing about him, but I hear he's doing really good things in Minnesota. (9-1ish, sub 4.0 era)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean sub 2.00 ERA.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM

come on guys, I'm interested in this thread, I think other might be too.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:33 PM

ok, i'm gonna show my soccer ignorance here, but why is someone with that type of offensive ability playing as a defender?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i'm gonna show my soccer ignorance here, but why is someone with that type of offensive ability playing as a defender?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he's not exactly a defender, he's a defensive midfielder which means that he still has plenty of opportunities to take long shots at goal (which a good part of the world class players in this position do well) and he's a big part of what coaches call "the first stage of building an attack", he's fundamental in the defense-offense transition because usually he receives the ball from the defenders and he needs to read the game and have good decision making and passing ability. But his main function in the team is to help on the defensive side, usually shutting down other teams playmakers and/or helping on the wings when needed.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Sub 4 ERA OMFGZCYYOUNG

Anyway, keep an eye on Theo Walcott of Arsenal. He's 17 and was included (but not played) in the England squad. Loads of pace and technical ability but a bit lacking tactically at the moment and of course currently lacks experience. Watch out for him in a few years though.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sub 4 ERA OMFGZCYYOUNG

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew he had a good era, but I wasn't sure exactly how good, so I played it safe. Sub 4 is semi-respectable, but if he's sub 2, damn. (blah blah, ERA isn't the most reliable stat, blahblah)
Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sub 4 ERA OMFGZCYYOUNG

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew he had a good era, but I wasn't sure exactly how good, so I played it safe. Sub 4 is semi-respectable, but if he's sub 2, damn. (blah blah, ERA isn't the most reliable stat, blahblah)

[/ QUOTE ]

94 K's in 81 1/3 innings, only 20 walks and 5 home runs, blah blah.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 AM

Giuseppe Rossi - Manchester United, 19 years old.

Plays a very similar position to Wayne Rooney behind his partnering striker. Very quick, excellent touch, and great passing ability. Scored 26 goals for the reserves this year as they claimed the treble but didn't get much chance to break into the first team with Rooney, Saha, and Ruud all ahead of him. Put one away against Sunderland on his premiership debut and 2 against Burton in the FA Cup. Joined from Parma two years ago and just signed a 2 year extension today. Born and grew up in New Jersey but has shown interest in playing for Italy after having played for their youth teams. Look for him to get a lot more first team action with Ruud probably on his way out.

3 minute compilation of Rossi in action