Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 04:30 AM

Default How does the full tilt $10 million effect deals at the ME

Now I know one isn't supposed to be allowed to make deals that result in a player winning a bracelet, but if there are only a couple of players left and one of them is a full tilt player the two people have an additional $10 million in prize money[1] to split if the full tilt person wins. Is there anything that can really be done to stop a deal like the non-full tilt player getting 1st place money to dump chips to the full tilt player who only gets 2nd place money from the tournament but wins the bracelet and the extra $10 million to make it worth while? Has this been discussed before? I couldn't find it in the search.

1- I know the $10 million isn't really prize money but is more 10-year endorsement money that is hyped as prize money (i.e., you become the world's most expensive prop player), but still it is kind of like prize money.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Re: How does the full tilt $10 million effect deals at the ME

I think that chip dumping at the final table of the ME would be a pretty bad idea.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens if this situation were to occur. $10 million is a lot of money. It could be interesting if a full tilt player even makes the top 5. $10 mil is probably gonna be more than the 1st place payout.

full tilt ME sats = obv rigged so bad players will win ;x(jp, relax) FT would probably go bankrupt if they had to dish out $10mil lol
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 AM

Isn't the FT deal actually pretty standard anyway? If you win the ME in this day and age don't you probably stand to gain $10m worth of endorsements regardless?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the FT deal actually pretty standard anyway? If you win the ME in this day and age don't you probably stand to gain $10m worth of endorsements regardless?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, the FT deal makes you exclusive with FT as opposed to any other online sites, but doesn't prevent you from running poker camps, writing books, getting to do beer commercials (they say they want rights to block sponsorships that are bad for them, but say all reasonable ones would be allowed) so the FT money isn't the extent of your endorsement potential.

Second of all, I think you greatly overestimate the amount of money people make from endorsements. Probably only ~50 people make $1m+ in endorsements a year across all of sports. A random WSOP ME winner isn't likely to rake in $1 million a year in endorsements, let alone over 10 years, other than through FT.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably only ~50 people make $1m+ in endorsements a year across all of sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone in women's golf can reportedly make $10 million from endorsements before the age of 18, I'd be enclined to stick a zero at the end of that fifty figure. There's probably more people making that in the NFL alone.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One, I think you're way off on your guess.

Two, random WSOP winner would instantly become one of the biggest celebrities in an industry with a lot of cash to throw around (and its an industry where endorsements matter a great deal). I remember reading that Fossilman charges $5,000 per appearance; should be pretty easy to parlay appearances, free tournament buy-ins and a few TV commercials into at least a million a year.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 of those 50 being Moneymaker, Raymer and Hachem.