Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Default wpt championship split money

when joe bartholdi won the wtp championship someone else put up his $25,000 and received 1/2 the money (their share was $1.6M or $1.8M i can't remember). i won't say which pro provide the money, and i don't see anything wrong with it (even though it violates wpt rules). i know several people who are very upset about this, and i was wondering what people here think of this?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own
Default Re: wpt championship split money

it was joe cassidy and how is it against the rules. alot of tourney pros are backed
Old 06-23-2006, 08:00 PM

I haven't heard that backing deals are a problem at the WPT. I do believe they don't allow final table deals though, right?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard that backing deals are a problem at the WPT. I do believe they don't allow final table deals though, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 PM

Its not the backing or swapping that is the problem of the WPT, it is the final table structure...duh
Old 06-23-2006, 09:15 PM

Default no.

it was not joe.

i think the wpt doesn't allow both backing deals and final table splits, but i, and those who i have discussed could be incorrect.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: no.

[ QUOTE ]
i think the wpt doesn't allow both backing deals

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a lot of inaccuracies in your post.

probably >50% of the field in any WPT event is backed.

it is true that they dont allow final-table deals after paul phillips and mel judah made a deal at the bike.

it was reported in cardplayer that joe cassidy had half of joe b's action.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:25 AM

if cardplayer wrote that joe had 1/2 they were incorrect. it was someone else.

i already addressed in an earlier post what i thought the wpt policy is on backing, and that i could be incorrect.

and it is not close to 50%.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 AM

guys,

amulet, if you're got info that's better than what cardplayer reported, why not just come out and say it instead of insinuating it and letting people guess? why are you so sure that your source is better than cardplayer's?

in general, i think that backing can cause some problems like implicit (or explicit) collusion.

zeebo, how do you think backing works? you put up all the entrance fee and take 100% of the profits? to answer your question, "because they think it's a good investment."

amulet, i also think you're discounting the fact that a high % of people who go to these events sell some % of their action to someone or some group. that is backing, even if it is not for 100% of entrance.

citanul
Old 06-24-2006, 12:52 AM

"When Cassidy saw that Bartholdi was broke again, he helped him. Cassidy staked Bartholdi in several events at the 2005 World Series, and Bartholdi nailed fifth place in the last $1,500 no-limit hold'em event for more than $70,000, the biggest tournament score of his life. After several more tournament cashes, including a $27,160 win at the 2005 Ultimate Poker Challenge and two final tables at the 2006 Gold Strike World Poker Open that netted him more than $60,000, Bartholdi once again was playing with his own money. He returned to Bellagio's $10-$20 no-limit game and continued to run well. Along the way, he and Cassidy took half of each other at the 2006 World Poker Tour Championship."