Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Lets talk about avatars!

Hello all,

Some of you might not know me as I post in oot most of the time but I do read most of the other forums so I feel I know you all.

Mat has been kind enough to humour me and give me a chance to... hmmm

What am I supposed to be doing again?? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Well I know what I want to do but I am still fuzzy on the details. So I am looking for some guidance from all the mods and administrators before I do anything to crazy. But sooner or later craziness will ensure this you can be sure of.

Here are the points I wanted to focus on but feel free to introduce anything avatar or image related which you feel I might be able to help with.

1. Avatar size

What file size should we try to limit avatars to?

There will be no publicly stated avatar limit. I just plan to identify the size limit we want to strive for then track down people with large avatars and pm them with options. Normally I can optimize the image and make it 1/10 the file size and it even looks better than the original. I have been doing this already sometimes even for mods with good results. So I don't foresee much arguing being caused by my efforts in this area.

I personally think 100KB should be the max size. There are a ton of avatars out there that are over this limit and I will start with trying to eliminate the largest first, there are some over 2mb. So this will be a huge job. It would be very helpful if mods that noticed avatars with large file sizes in their respective forums could pm me with the persons username. Please don't start doing this till we have picked the max file size we will be striving to maintain.

2. NSFW avatars

Not much should be changing here. However if you see an avatar that you consider borderline and you would like to see it disappear or change let me know. I can often modify it and offer it to the person and they will often like it more than the original. And it is easier than getting into a debate with them about what is and is not nsfw.

3. Specialty avatars

Recently I made some avatars given as prizes in the POG contest and I will gladly help all mods and administrators with any image tasks they might have. I have unlimited bandwidth on my photobucket account and can host stuff for you if you require it. That is if you are willing to risk having me mess with it at some point on a lark, which only happens on rare occasions. Seriously I think this might be the only real contribution I can make so feel free to ask for my help. Sometimes a cool image or some type of graph might raise interest in an activity you are having in your forum.

Thanks for making me green Mat and I will try not to cause too much trouble.

Oh I just about forgot! I need one Mod to volunteer to be a play tester for my next contest. It is a 4th of July themed sudoku puzzle, which I like to call Studoku! lol Think twice before volunteering as this puzzle is devilish and probably very nitty as well be sure you like sudokus and are willing to take the time to solve several non-standard types. I will likely drive this volunteer close to madness with endless pms ironing out the details of this contest over the next 2 weeks. First person to volunteer gets the task. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Lets talk about avatars!

AWESOME!

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="green">Stuey</font>

Welcome to the Green, my friend.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AWESOME!

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="green">Stuey</font>

Welcome to the Green, my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Do you have a forum to mod, or are you like Green was, w/o a forum, but are now captain avatar?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a forum to mod, or are you like Green was, w/o a forum, but are now captain avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm w/o a forum and it should work well this way. I think my main purpose will be to help other mods with avatar and image problems or conserns they have. File size seems like the spot I can do the most good imo. But I'm open to any and all suggestions as to how I can be of use.

Captian avatar made me laugh, freak still describes me the best though.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Man, I just can't stop staring at your avatar. It's like the lava lamps on my desk. Truly hypnotic...

&lt;shakes self&gt;

Oh, sorry. What?

Hey, Stuey! Welcome to modsville.

So you're going to be the avatar Czar? Cool! Actually, I think giving away rewards for forum participation above &amp; beyond is an intriguing idea. Right now we give out titles to people who really deserve it, but an avatar could be a real big prize.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I just can't stop staring at your avatar. It's like the lava lamps on my desk. Truly hypnotic...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been touting it as having spiritual healing effects and I am beginning to believe it myself. Thanks for the welcome Grunch. More people need to know how cool Cola is. Thanks for the solid advice and for listening to my avatar ramblings.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Welcome Stuey.

DO NOT mess with my avatar. Don't even think about it. I repeat, do not mess with my avatar.

--aj

/end reverse psychology prod
Old 06-14-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome Stuey.

FEEL FREE to mess with my avatar. Go ahead and think about it. I repeat, messing with my avatar is totally fine.

--grunch

/end direct suggestion prod

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP for my own evil purposes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Welcome Stuey!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Your my boy stew