Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Overcharged and still not satisfaction

I know I said I wasn't going to post anymore about the fact that I still have not received NLT&P despite paying for UPS shipping, but I just looked at my credit card bill and got pissed off again.

On May 21st, Conjelco put a charge on my credit card for $67.10. Pursuant to my order confirmation I got on May 4th, my order included:

1 #P140: Harrington on Hold'em Volume III (expected by 6/1/06),
$23.95
1 #P141: No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice (Ships early June),
$23.95

Merchandise Total: $47.90
Shipping and Handling : $19.20
Grand Total: $67.10

I have been charged nearly $20 for 2 books, only one of which I have received.

I reread Mason's publishing update posts this morning to discover that books had been sent to major retailers at the beginning of June, and the preorders had all been sent out.

I recognize that I don't have the right to "demand" anything from this site, but because Mason frequently reads and posts on here, I'm requesting that he or some other 2+2 person let me know what, if anything, has been done to discuss my situation with Conjelco. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised that Chuck's explanations on this forum have not been addressed by 2+2 officially.

I recognize that Conjelco did ask me "what it would take to make me happy," but I'm not in the habit of making demands for free product. Rather, I wanted what I paid for, which appears to have been significantly more than what others paid for (UPS shipping v. regular shipping), and which Conjelco still has not delivered. Conjelco's solution that they ship the book via PRIORITY MAIL (whereas I had paid for UPS shipping) is ridiculous. Accordingly, not only have I not gotten good service, but I HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGED. This is simply not acceptable. If I were a real a**hole, I'd say that being treated like this is reckless at the very least, if not borderline deceptive.

I am seriously considering returning the book when it finally does arrive. I don't want to borrow the book or just read it at a bookstore, because I do feel the authors should be compensated. However, I have a really bad taste in my mouth about all of this.

I recognize that I "officially" am a whiner now, so flame me if you want to. Even if people disagree with me, thanks to everyone who bears through reading these posts.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Overcharged and still not satisfaction

"UPS shipping" doesn't necessarily mean faster than Priority Mail. UPS ground service, for example, depends on how far away you are located from the conjelco warehouse. if you're on the east coast, the priority mail should get there a day or two faster than UPS ground (though priority mail is not guaranteed or easily trackable like UPS is).

if you explicitly paid for UPS 2-day air or faster, then you can probably request that conjelco refund all or most of your shipping charges.

you also have recourse with your credit card issuer up to 60-90 days after the initial charge as a last resort.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 AM

That is serious overcharging. I paid about $45 total in Canadian funds. They were shipped through Canada Post and arrived the next day. I used amazon.ca

Books were cheaper. Shipping was free. They both arrived in one day.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 PM

Ordered both through Amazon 06/08/06 for $35.38 both scheduled for delivery tommorow (2 Biz days). I have always had great results from Amazon.

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategies for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. III--The Workbook [Paperback]
By: Dan Harrington, Bill Robertie
$17.97

1 of: No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice [Paperback]
By: David Sklansky, Ed Miller (Illustrator)
$17.97

Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Sold by: Amazon.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: $35.94
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $35.94
Total: $35.94
Instant Reward: $-0.56
-----
Total for this Shipment: $35.38
Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I recognize that I "officially" am a whiner now, so flame me if you want to. Even if people disagree with me, thanks to everyone who bears through reading these posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some serious points for your consideration:

1. Repeated whining about this here isn't going to fix your problem. No one here can help you deal with Conjelco, or cares to. Only you can do that.

2. I trust that no one at Conjelco would let these posts adversely affect the way that they treat you, but you certainly aren't helping youself there.

3. Most of us here have had nothing but good experiences with Conjelco. If you are trying to damage their business, it isn't going to work.

4. One post on the subject gets you a little sympathy. Repeated whining is annoying and some less charitable people start taking pleasure from your on-going problems.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:11 PM

i am dealing with similar issues. i had an order for them pending with amazon, which i cancelled because i thought i got get them faster ordering direct from 2+2 (through conjelco).

anyways, i ordered them May 31 with 2 day air shipping for an extra $25.50. my credit card was charged 2 days after the order and it took a week to receive the books. plus by the time i got them in the mail they were already out in stores here, which defeated the purpose of the express shipping.

i'm happy to have the books now, but extremely disappointed with conjelco. i have sent them several emails about this and nobody is responding.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some serious points for your consideration:

1. Repeated whining about this here isn't going to fix your problem. No one here can help you deal with Conjelco, or cares to. Only you can do that.

2. I trust that no one at Conjelco would let these posts adversely affect the way that they treat you, but you certainly aren't helping youself there.

3. Most of us here have had nothing but good experiences with Conjelco. If you are trying to damage their business, it isn't going to work.

4. One post on the subject gets you a little sympathy. Repeated whining is annoying and some less charitable people start taking pleasure from your on-going problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some serious points in reply:

What sympathy? Not a single one of your posts has recognized any merit in my complaints. In fact, you're the only one piling on me. In all seriousness, I don't doubt that most people have had a positive experience with Conjelco. Does that somehow lessen what I've been through? Does it somehow make an explanation apparent?

I don't expect sympathy, but a discussion through 2+2 -- the very place where my purchase was solicited by Mason and others -- is why I got this going. I will continue to try to attract the attention of the principals here at least until I get my book and my credit card is debited appropriately.

I'm not trying to damage Conjelco's business. I don't like being charged for things I contracted for but didn't receive. Conjelco or 2+2 can tell me to f*** off for all I care; I just would like some response about this whole situation.

Then again, maybe you should give me another lesson about how the real world works...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to damage Conjelco's business. I don't like being charged for things I contracted for but didn't receive. Conjelco or 2+2 can tell me to f*** off for all I care; I just would like some response about this whole situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this not a response you mentioned in your opening post?

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize that Conjelco did ask me "what it would take to make me happy," but I'm not in the habit of making demands for free product.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you didn't like their response, but it does look like you got one. You're probably doing good that they even tried to make amends with you in the first place. It appears that you will only be happy if the mistake never happened, which they can't do anything about now.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:57 PM

I can see what you mean. I was unclear. The first screw-up was when they responded. The second - which they haven't responded to - is why they then sent my book via priority mail instead of UPS like I had paid for. I'm still waiting for something on that end.

But, I do see your point.