Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Default The ultimate dealer button?

I don't think this has been posted before but over on http://www.gizmondo.com they had a post about an electronic dealer button that keeps track of the blind/ante amounts and times the levels. Has anyone got one of these and can say how well it works? http://www.ultimatedealerbutton.com/
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: The ultimate dealer button?

I've seen this before but I think it could present problems such as people monkeying with it during play and screwing it up. Not the ultimate crime but an ultimate pain in the ass.

I bought a Poker Genie and I think it's a great tool. I've had it for about a year and what I really like is that you can enter your own structure into the unit and once it's in memory you can recall it for your next game even months later. They've since added a prop-up stand and a wall mount plus a few other features. You can read the Home Poker Tourney review here.

Regarding the Ultimate Dealer Button, according to their website it looks like you have to enter the new blinds after each level and start and stop the timer every time. With the Poker Genie, once you've entered your structure (including breakes) the unit is completely automated. It's price is $40 more then the UDB but seems to be more than worth in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the Ultimate Dealer Button, according to their website it looks like you have to enter the new blinds after each level and start and stop the timer every time. With the Poker Genie, once you've entered your structure (including breakes) the unit is completely automated. It's price is $40 more then the UDB but seems to be more than worth in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct about UDB.

For those of you thinking about this button, here is some additional information I acquired, while Digger was adding his post

INITIAL EMAIL-
Larry Lottery wrote:
"Displays both SMALL and BIG blinds
Keeps track of ROUND TIMES using hours, minutes and seconds
BEEPING SOUND alerts all players of expired round time
Easy-to-read large LCD
Lets you know the exact time left in play
Ability to PAUSE and RESTART timer at anytime
3" (diameter) X 1/2" (height)
Perfect size for your current chip case
Optional "K" representing thousands for larger games and tournaments
Keeps your game organized Shows ANTE (if any) as well
Labeled display, preventing confusion
Keeps your game organized
Five straight-forward buttons manage everything for you
Battery included"

QUESTIONS
1) What type of battery does it use?

A watch battery you can buy at any drug store 357/303. It is included

2) What warranty, if any, does the UDB have? How shock-proof is it? Waterproof? How damage-resistant is the LCD screen?

30 Days manufacturer warranty. Ours has fallen off the table many times, had drinks spilt on it, and hasn't broke. Our LCD hasn't received any damage at all.

3) Is the beeping programmable (type of beep, duration, trigger time)?

No

4) Do you select blinds/antes from a structured list, or can they be programmed in a custom structure?

Set the initial round time and blinds/antes to whatever amount desired. After the round is over it defaults to the previous setting. You then increase the blinds manually to whatever you would like. Blinds range from 1 to 999k

5) Are there discounts for buying more than one?

Sure, how many are you looking for

6) What is the UDB made out of?

Plastic

7) Can this button be cleaned off? LCD screen? Think hand oils, for one....

YES
----
I then followed up with this:

> 3) Is the beeping programmable (type of beep, duration, trigger time)?
>UDB- No

LL- So, it beeps when the round is over.
UDB- Correct

[for the curious- i have an electronic timer that beeps at 10 minutes, then 5, as a warning in a 20-min round. That's where my question came from]

> 4) Do you select blinds/antes from a structured list, or can they be
> programmed in a custom structure?
>UDB- Set the initial round time and blinds/antes to whatever amount
>desired. After the round is over it defaults to the previous setting.
>You then increase the blinds manually to whatever you would like. Blinds
>range from 1 to 999k

LL-Still a little unclear here. Are you saying that, when Round 1 is finished,
I have to set the next blinds and antes... and do that every round?

UDB- Correct, you must increase the blinds manually between each round

> 7) Can this button be cleaned off? LCD screen? Think hand oils, for
> one....
> YES

LL- With what? What CAN'T you clean it with?
UDB- Not sure, we have always just cleaned it with a damp towel. I'm sure windex would work too

-----

Hopefully that helps anyone thinking about purchasing one of these. Personally, the requirement to keep resetting the blinds and antes for each level is a deal-breaker for me. My players don't usually forget the current blinds, it's the NEXT levels that concern them.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, the requirement to keep resetting the blinds and antes for each level is a deal-breaker for me. My players don't usually forget the current blinds, it's the NEXT levels that concern them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. What a joke.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the Poker Genie, once you've entered your structure (including breakes) the unit is completely automated. It's price is $40 more then the UDB but seems to be more than worth in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quoted features DO seem better, but this wouldn't be worth $80+ to me either, I don't believe.

The UDB's substitute as a button was a neat gimmick. If it were programmable- or better yet, radio-linked buttons to a master control, so MTTs could use them- the UDB might be a more interesting tool.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:02 PM

The poker genie is pretty small isn't it. If you REALLY needed a button that bad, couldn't you just pass it around?

Wouldn't these product both be the same then, with the poker genie obivously benefiting from programmable blinds?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The poker genie is pretty small isn't it. If you REALLY needed a button that bad, couldn't you just pass it around?

Wouldn't these product both be the same then, with the poker genie obivously benefiting from programmable blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Poker Genie is 6"x4"x1" and the digits are 1" tall. They claim that it is visible up to 40 feet. It runs on AC not batteries and isn't designed to be used as a dealer button.

During my home game I have it set up near the table and it's easy for all players to see. For those of you who didn't click on the link in my post above, here's an image of what the device looks like.

I sent them an e-mail earlier today asking if they had some sort of an upgrade policy as I'd love to get my hands on the new "Pro Edition" model. They haven't replied yet but I'll post their answer here when they do.

In response to Larry's comment about not seeing is as something that is worth the $80 price tag including shipping, I go on record as saying that I'm a total gadget junkie and so the Gadget Geek Factor played a part in my decision to purchase it. Although, after using it for the last 6 months, I wouldn't want to run a tournament without it. Also, I'm not interested in using my laptop to run any kind of TD software so this thing fits my needs perfectly. I can certainly understand people not seeing it as worth the money but they might think differently after using it a few times.

Oh, one other thing I should point out: Like most of the gear that I've purchased (poker table, chips, Copags, etc.), it's all been paid for with my winnings in our tournaments so I really didn't mind spending the money.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 AM

BRAG POST! :P

Re: The ultimate dealer button? [Re: Khabbi]
#6113322 - 06/08/06 03:17 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Poker Genie is 6"x4"x1" and the digits are 1" tall. They claim that it is visible up to 40 feet. It runs on AC not batteries and isn't designed to be used as a dealer button.

During my home game I have it set up near the table and it's easy for all players to see. For those of you who didn't click on the link in my post above, here's an image of what the device looks like.

I sent them an e-mail earlier today asking if they had some sort of an upgrade policy as I'd love to get my hands on the new "Pro Edition" model. They haven't replied yet but I'll post their answer here when they do.

In response to Larry's comment about not seeing is as something that is worth the $80 price tag including shipping, I go on record as saying that I'm a total gadget junkie and so the Gadget Geek Factor played a part in my decision to purchase it. Although, after using it for the last 6 months, I wouldn't want to run a tournament without it. Also, I'm not interested in using my laptop to run any kind of TD software so this thing fits my needs perfectly. I can certainly understand people not seeing it as worth the money but they might think differently after using it a few times.

Oh, one other thing I should point out: Like most of the gear that I've purchased (poker table, chips, Copags, etc.), it's all been paid for with my winnings in our tournaments so I really didn't mind spending the money.