Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 AM

Default I Hate Phil. (LC)

I'm in the process of formulating a theory about our Ne'er do well friend Phil. Firstly, in the interest of full disclosure I should unequivocally state that I hate the man.

Now that the fine print is out of the way I can tell you that I firmly believe Phil to be a spawn of the Dark Lord, the Prince of Lies, Mephistopheles, Beelzebub, or whatever fanciful name you choose to call Satan himself.

I think Phil was sent to prepare the world for the coming of the Anti-Christ. Heck, he may even be the Anti-Christ for all we know. As proof of these libelous accusations I offer Exhibit A:

$25 PL Omaha Hi-Lo - Tuesday, May 23, 07:14:15 ET 2006
Table Table 95229 (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: BadbeatPhil ( $119.65 )
Seat 3: JimmyB377 ( $14.29 )
Seat 8: Westside76 ( $28.77 )
Seat 10: hilopro ( $32.38 )
Seat 4: mhbtjm33 ( $36.53 )
Seat 6: samsbud ( $21.65 )
Seat 2: crsinc ( $16.35 )
Seat 5: MuddyRRiver ( $21.20 )
mhbtjm33 posts small blind [$0.10].
MuddyRRiver posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mhbtjm33 [ As 7s Ac 9h ]
samsbud folds.
>You have options at Table 95162 (No DP) Table!.
hilopro calls [$0.25].
BadbeatPhil calls [$0.25].
crsinc calls [$0.25].
JimmyB377 calls [$0.25].
mhbtjm33 calls [$0.15].
MuddyRRiver checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, Ks, Js ]
mhbtjm33 checks.
MuddyRRiver checks.
hilopro checks.
BadbeatPhil checks.
crsinc bets [$0.90].
JimmyB377 folds.
mhbtjm33 raises [$4.15].
MuddyRRiver folds.
hilopro folds.
BadbeatPhil raises [$14.80].
crsinc folds.
mhbtjm33 is all-In [$32.13]
L....O.....L
BadbeatPhil calls [$21.48].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]
** Dealing River ** [ Kc ]
BadbeatPhil shows [ Ts, 4h, Qs, 6d ] a straight flush, king high.
mhbtjm33 doesn't show [ As, 7s, Ac, 9h ] a flush, ace high.
BadbeatPhil wins $71.96 from the main pot with a straight flush, king high.
There was no qualifying low hand.
samsbud has left the table.

That was pure evil. Now, what you choose to do with this information is entirely up to you, I am merely the proverbial "lone voice in the wilderness" warning of the coming Apocalypse. And when the Apocalypse hits, Ground Zero will undoubtedly be the PartyPoker $25 tables.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Re: I Hate Phil. (LC)

[ QUOTE ]
BadbeatPhil checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

First sign of the coming (to you) Apocalypse.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 AM

Let that be a lesson to you. If you are going to play a pair of Aces with a 7 and a 9, even suited, you should throw in a large pre-flop raise to get rid of these random hands that can beat you, and to give you a better idea of what you may be up against.

Another example: about a month ago, I was in the BB with 5-5-x-x. Terrible hand. Calls all around, SB calls, I check. Flop is 5-5-10. I slow play it, get a pot-sized bet, a call, and I call. Turn is A. I check again, someone bets, SB raises, I re-raise all-in, and 3 players wind up all-in (including me; we each had full stacks of about $400). River is a blank. First guy at 10-10-x-x, SB had A-A-x-x, and I scooped a nice pot. I would never have been in the hand had the SB thrown in any kind of a raise; and nobody could put me on 5-5 because it's generally an unplayable hand and I was in the BB showing no sign of strength.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let that be a lesson to you. If you are going to play a pair of Aces with a 7 and a 9, even suited, you should throw in a large pre-flop raise to get rid of these random hands that can beat you, and to give you a better idea of what you may be up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss, not that I don't appreciate your valuable tips on how I could've gotten PHIL to fold PF, but I don't exactly know what lesson it is that I'm supposed to be learning here. If I have Aces in the small blind I should fold? If I do happen to misclick and complete the bet DO NOT, under any circumstances, flop the nut flush? If I do misclick, complete the bet, and flop the nut flush do not bet it? If the lesson is that one time in a hundred I'm going to have my nut flush cracked by a straight flush then it's a lesson I learned way before this hand.

I expect better from you Niss, that was one retarded reply.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM

I am sorry if you are not receptive to some constructive criticism and do not realize that not raising your weak aces pre-flop was a mistake. If you raise pre-flop -- and correctly get it all in later, as you did -- and Phil turns over that crap, then there's nothing you can do. I am guessing that even a retard like Dr. Phil does not call a pot-sized pre-flop raise with that garbage, after limping and with few other players. The fact that you got stacked with this hand is most likely the result of your failure to raise your hand pre-flop.

This is one of the few instances -- weak aces -- where I think how you play the hand pre-flop is very important, because a mistake can cost you a lot of money even if you play ideally post-flop.

If I was trying to be a jerk, I would have suggested you post this hand in BBV.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you got stacked with this hand is most likely the result of your failure to raise your hand pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner of the results-oriented comment of the day award.

He got stacked like anyone else would have in that situation. If he had A695s and flopped the nut flush he would have gotten stacked just as easily. If you think a pot raise from OOP will fold everyone at a $25 table then you haven't played at a $25 table in a while. It doesn't even fold most of the field at $100 tables nowadays. Not that it's a bad thing, but you will rarely get headsup after that many limpers have jumped in.

If you are going to be potting from the SB then you might as well change your name to "I'll have the AA with mango salsa" first. Then you'll be playing a slightly above average hand OOP with the big scarlet letter(s) tattooed on your forehead. Good luck with that.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:24 PM

You don't get the point of the comment, but that's fine. I'm not going to continue to explain it. If you can't see what I mean, there's no point in continuing to discuss it.

Last comment -- if people at the $25 tables are going to call pot-sized pre-flop raises with what Phil had -- even with the AA tattoo that you think goes with the raise -- then that's even more reason to raise with what Bruce had.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 PM

I was also playing PLO8 $25 today (I play PLO8 seldom these last week), and I saw this guy always raising preflop with a large range of hands.
Each time I saw a guy playing like this before, he finished to loose all his chips. But this guy does not : he seems to be very good playing agressively.

While searching on this forum, BadBeatPhil seems to be Phil153. I thought this guy was playing higher limits. Didn't he ?
I've only played something like 180 hands with him, and he was 44% VPIP and 18% PFR
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I've played many a night at a table with Phil. Phil is able to play tight or slightly maniacish. I've seen him do fantastically well playing very laggish and I've seen him lose several buyins in a short amount of time.

I actually vary whether I will sit at a table with phil depending on the mood I'm in. If I want to play a lot of hands limping... then I avoid phil's tables. If I want to play high variance, all big pots, I'll sit at a Phil table.

And, I don't know that Phil would have folded his hand to a raise by someone he has position on.

On a related note: When Phil has his chat on, its usually amusing. There's a lot of cursing and smack talk at a Phil table. It can be good fun!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not raising your weak aces pre-flop was a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise them PF precisely because they're weak and because I'll be in the worst position possible for the rest of the hand with a tricky player like Phil to act after me. If I don't hit the flop hard then I CF, however weak Aces cease to be weak when you flop the nut flush with them.

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that even a retard like Dr. Phil does not call a pot-sized pre-flop raise with that garbage

[/ QUOTE ]

Then your guesswork is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you got stacked with this hand is most likely the result of your failure to raise your hand pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the fact that I got stacked is God's twisted way of getting me back for taking his name in vain last week. That, and the fact that it's a 100-1 fluke.

In fact, if you had told me PF that I would flop the nut flush and Phil had Kx of the same suit, I would let him come into the hand for free.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was trying to be a jerk, I would have suggested you post this hand in BBV.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't a bad beat post. It's a low content, humorously good natured ribbing post at Phil's expense.