Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 03:19 AM

Default AKs Party 100NL

Villain is 16/5/4 after 30 hands. The only hand I've seen him show down is a flopped flush that he got paid on. I used to think this was standard, but AKs is one of my biggest losers and I am wondering if it is because I am pushing my draws too hard.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

UTG $134
Hero $116

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($12.5, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $18</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $103.3</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($237.1, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $237.1)

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($237.1, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $237.1)

Results:
Final pot: $237.1
Old 05-20-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Re: AKs Party 100NL

I don't mean to bombard you all with hands, but I'll post some others that weren't an allin fest so you can what I'm doing in various situations and let me know where I'm going wrong.

This hand was from several weeks ago. This is typically how I play when I flop a draw and am called on the flop. Should I keep the pressure on my opponent and keep betting? I usually try and take the free card and then typically don't make too much if I hit, more often than not villain then bets into me on river and I fold

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
9 players
Converter
SB $147
Hero $208

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($26, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $20</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($66, 2 players)
SB checks.
Hero?
Results:
Old 05-20-2006, 03:31 AM

whats your sample size?

Hand 1: fine. a little ballsy but fine.

Hand 2: check the turn through. You have a lot of outs and it will be nice when you catch and villian bets into you.

also, post stack sizes.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 AM

Edited for stack sizes. Sample size for what? Over how many hands AKs is a loser for me? 61k hands this year, dealt AKs 185 times, -0.52BB/hand.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:48 AM

I guess I should also add I am a 2.something winner at 6max NL over about 20k hands and about a breakeven player at full ring NL 100 (-.10BB/100), so am I being too aggressive here with draws? Obviously I guess hand 2 is fine apart from my river bluff which I didn't include. It seems I am either winning a small pot when i play so aggressive or getting hammered by a set at FR.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:51 AM

in full ring people have better hands. you do a lot more folding and a lot more waiting. patience is a virtue at FR.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Hand 2: Does the gutshot + Flush Draw + Overs make firing the second barrel correct? I guess that opponent would only need to fold more than 20% of the time to make that correct. Your thoughts?
Or does the presence of a second Broadway card make two pair and good draw too likely for this opponent for a second C bet to be good?

Obviously read dependant but I am wondering if the 10 on the turn was a good or bad card for us.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 AM

If you get called here you are either a 3-1 dog against a set, or a small favorite against a PP like QQ/JJ/TT. With a PFR% of 5, AA or KK is also possible, but unlikely. So, if you knew what cards he had, what would you want him to do?

If he's got a set you'd want him to fold, but that will never happen. If he's got AA or KK you'd also want him to fold, something that he might do. If he's got any other PP like QQ/JJ/TT you'd actually like him to call. You wouldn't love it but you'd win in the long run.

It just seems that the only time a push like this is the best move is when you knew for sure that he's got aces or kings, AND you think that there's a good chance he might lay it down. Also, if you would do the same thing with 99 or 77, a push here would get those hands payed off enough to make this a good play.

UTG has just made a mistake by offering you the proper odds to try and hit your nut flush. Why not take it?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:15 PM

Well, I would probably play a flopped set like this about 30-40% of the time, the rest I would just call the raise and let him hang himself on the turn. Thanks for the comments about full ring as well, I do play much more of a waiting game (I'm 12/7/2.8) but I guess I am getting too aggressive when I am actually in a hand that I want to continue with
Old 05-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Hand 1 looks good. Hand 2 I check behind on the turn but in a slightly different flop I probably bet again.