Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Newbie planning a ski trip, need some suggestions

So I want to surprise my gf with a ski trip sometime late fall/winter but I don't know anything about skiing. I've never skied before nor do I know anyone who does (except my gf).

I'm just looking for suggestions as to where/when to go or any other ideas, TIA.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Newbie planning a ski trip, need some suggestions

Where do you live?

Tahoe is nice and not as cold as other areas, but if you're an East Coaster, there's plenty of places a closer to you.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:42 PM

Steamboat was great when I went in March, but we need more suggestions on what exactly you're looking for.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:43 PM

my favorite east coast ski resort, they had a segment on Wild On about the night life at Killington once.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my favorite east coast ski resort, they had a segment on Wild On about the night life at Killington once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Killington has great nightlife, but for the best terrain in the east youve got to check out Stowe. Of course, since this guy is a beginner, terrain doesnt really matter much to him. Killington would be extremely crowded, but have plenty to do after the slopes close.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 PM

Need a more specific time frame on when you want to go. The snow conditions for the area you mentioned will make most places not worth going.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Best place I've been to is Big Sky in MT. You'd need to fly into Bozeman and drive 1-1.5hrs though. But maybe they have a shuttle, I never checked that out.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:07 PM

I live in TX, was debating NM or CO because those were the only places I could think of off the top of my head.

I was thinking of going during Thanksgiving break. Not really looking for a lot of nightlife but rather good food and scenery.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanksgiving is early, look for places that are known for early season snow. I'd suggest Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake City, or even Big Mountain in Montana.

Lake Tahoe has awesome scenery, and several resorts to choose from. I like Homewood and Alpine Meadows. Check ski lake tahoe for more info.

SLC has some fantastic skiing. I'm partial to Snowbird and Alta. Alta is probably better for a first timer. ski SLC or another ski SLC link

An often overlooked place is Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana. Nice mountain, quaint village, try the Tupelo grill for some good food. You can head over to Glacier National Park and CC ski for some great scenery.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SLC has some fantastic skiing. I'm partial to Snowbird and Alta. Alta is probably better for a first timer. ski SLC or another ski SLC link

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Alta (and Snowbird is fine) but both areas are very limited for nightlife. I've stayed at the Alta Peruvian lodge, which is a great all-inclusive place - you pay 1 fee and get a lift ticket, 3 meals (very good food), and entry into the hotel bar (awesome bar!) every night (Utah liqour laws are weird).

the rooms are rustic but ok.

if you are ok with eating meals in the same place every night and going to the same bar, then this is a great, easy trip. there are lots of people who do it every year as a tradition.

note that Alta is known as an expert mountain, but there is enough easy terrain for you.