Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Rugby anyone ?

So this guy on my basketball team started playing rugby and is really enjoying it. He is now trying to talk me into it also. I am curious and love to take up new games and sports. I also would love to play a contact sport and hit some people. There are however several problems:

-He is 6"4, 245lbs. I am 5"11, 170lbs. He tells me there are different positions for different size of players, but wouldn't I eventually get crushed anyway?

-I have an office job and don't want to show up for work the day after a game with only one ear.

-I would hate to blow a knee out or dislocate my shoulder, prohibiting me from playing basketball, ultimate or golf.

Anyone have any experience with this sport, how dangerous is it? At a recreational level, do the players act like a bunch of apes? I heard recreational soccer can be dangerous because of goofs slide tackling when they don't know how to do it properly, is it the same thing in rugby?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Rugby anyone ?

I've played Rugby for 9 years. Its no more dangerous than football, there are positions for different sizes so you will be fine there, it will be rare that you will go HU with one of the bigger guys. It is a gentelmens game, like any activity there will be some ass hats but overall ruggers are a wonderfull group to be around. There will always be some dirty play, especially raking, but it's all apart of the game and if someone cheapshots you just let your teammates know and they will get him back. Rugby is a very physically demanding game and a very exciting and fun game to participate in.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:29 PM

I absolutely love this game. I've played for a few years, I took this semester off, due to just starting grad school and have missed it dearly.

NWCougar has said it perfectly. There will always be dirty play and asshats, but overall ruggers are a great group of guys and some of the absolute best times I've had in my life have been with my team mates.

Go out and try it, thats the best way to do it. If you do not enjoy it, quit. But I think you'll find that once you get into it, you'll love it.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

Amazing game. I play as much as I can, gotta love the team spirit after a match. Also, it shows you yanks what pussies you really are
Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 PM

I played in High School for two years. I actually found it safer than football. Think about it. The way football helmets and shoulder pads are made, they are actually weapons rather than protection. When people lack these weapons, some of the risk of injury decreases.

It truly is a game for all shapes and sizes.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 PM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

Yeah you're probably right. It just makes me feel bigger to say this. I actually love american football too.