Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Flopped straight, no redraws

$100 Party PLO

Couple of limpers to me, I call in LP with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], sb folds, bb checks.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets pot of $4.50, ep calls, I call.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets pot of $18, ep folds, I call.

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets pot of $54, I fold.

Thoughts on any streets are appreciated.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Flopped straight, no redraws

On flop I would raise. Happy to be told I'm wrong (I'm fairly new to this game and playing much lower limits) but you have the nuts here, make them pay to draw out on you.

Ditto the turn.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:14 PM

While my initial reaction was call the flop, raise the turn, I think I really like raising the flop much better.

First, if he 3-bets, indicating freeroll, you can get away without losing an unacceptable amount. You can also still get away on the turn if a flush card hits and he bets into you.

Second, you force him to really have nuts with redraw rather than the other way around.

I really think raising the flop here is the best way both to use your positional advantage and to get away from the hand in case of doubt. If you wait to raise until the turn, then he puts you in, you almost have to call. If you raise on the flop, you put the pressure on him if he doesn't have either nut straight with freeroll or set with flush draw and you can still get away from your own dead-end nut hand.

Also, if I raise the flop and he checks to me on the turn, I'm betting again. If he bets pot into me on a safe turn, I'm then laying down.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:18 AM

you actually have a redraw to a higher straight.
RAISE TURN. Do you think he has straight here and is free-rolling on you? Or do you think he has 2pr/set. Do you have any reads on BB. Do you think theres a chance he has T8 here? I'm also raising this LP to thin the field
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Sorry, changed the 9s on the flop to the As and changed the 7s on the turn to 6s. This should clear things up as I remember having no redraws, and I flopped the broadway.

Does this change things much? I find it very difficult to become aggressive with the nut straight on a draw heavy board when someone else is showing strength. To make things worse, the board got even worse on the turn. Maybe I am seeing monsters and just fear I am being freerolled too much.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM

well on the turn. he has to have both FDs to have the right odds to call u here HU. Dont fear the monsters. I think he puts u on a draw when u just call on the flop so I re-pot this turn, if u get sucked out on u get sucked out on. I mean why call this turn though. What are you going to be calling on the river? a red 2? I mean u folded to paired board. You're afraid of either fd so i assume ur going to be folding to them. There are a ton of outs that will make u fold this river.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Haha, maybe villian had A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Maybe not?

If you think he is free-rolling you, then fold to the turn bet. EV wise, its about the same (or better) and lower variance to boot.

If Villian has put you on the same straight, then he is trying to blow you off the pot. Think of calling the river as basically picking up a bluff. The problem is that since you are likely splitting (rather than scooping) you will need to be correct about 50% of the time.

How would you have played a river spade, or a river club, facing a pot bet?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 PM

I raise turn here, and I'd usually raise the flop when in position against 2 others.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 PM

He either flopped nut straight probably with redraw if betting flop and turn so confident. Or he flopped trips with flush draw which is ahead of your straight OR he is a complete idiot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]