Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Is the WPT Dying?

The WPT is no longer being shown on Wednesday's at 6 pm PST. I used to Tivo this showing because I didn't want to miss Lost at 9 pm. Starting this week the WPT no longer has the early showing, at least here in Los Angeles. If this was really still a popular show there wouldn't be any reason to take it off the air now.

BTW, when I tried to Tivo a repeat showing of this past week's show all I got was a paid infomercial (and it was set to the correct channel). This doesn't bode well for the WPT.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Is the WPT Dying?

There is another thread about this which I started.

Apparently, the Travel Channel is now supplying a "west coast feed" for cities like Las Vegas and Los Angeles in the Pacific time zone. So, now we see the show at 9pm and midnight just like East coast viewers do.

This isn't any kind of a statment about the success or failure of the WPT.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 AM

The midnight show is the one I tried to Tivo and all I got was the infomercial so I think my post still stands. If the WPT was still as strong as it once was the TC wouldn't even consider messing around with it. Everything else on the TC is still running as before.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 AM

I'm in the central time zone, and both the original airing and the replay were on Wednesday night. My TiVo successfully recorded the 11 pm replay because it had to record Lost at 8.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:09 AM

I guess this is pretty much the end of my WPT watching. I used to have a set routine: I'd Tivo the 6 pm show and get home around 6:45 so I could start watching from the beginning and fast forward through all the inane VVP/MS comments and commercials. I could usually watch the entire show in under 45 minutes.

In all honesty the past couple of seasons have been pretty bad. I guess I want to see the big names appear since to me it's really just entertainment and not real poker by the time they reach the FT. I want to hear some trash talking and some good comments from players like DN instead of just watching 6 unknown guys stare straight ahead and not say anything. This is why HSP is such a better watch.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is pretty much the end of my WPT watching. I used to have a set routine: I'd Tivo the 6 pm show and get home around 6:45 so I could start watching from the beginning and fast forward through all the inane VVP/MS comments and commercials. I could usually watch the entire show in under 45 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, YOU HAVE A TIVO. Record it on Wednesday and watch it on Thursday.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:08 AM

Although I don't have access to Travel Channel's ratings, I have no doubt that the World Poker Tour is still their #1 show by a lot.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I don't have access to Travel Channel's ratings, I have no doubt that the World Poker Tour is still their #1 show by a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right. It's just that if they were smart they wouldn't mess with it.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The should replace Courtney Friel with Samantha Brown. It would help out 2 of the travel channels shows!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The should replace Courtney Friel with Samantha Brown. It would help out 2 of the travel channels shows!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for it if they get Samantha implants first!