Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Waiting until it\'s your turn to look at your hole cards?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whether it be a $100 max buy in no limit game where people are limp-calling reraises with A6s or a $65+15 SNG, I really don't see the point of doing this. OMGZZZTELLZ

It just bothers me when we're seeing like nine hands/month and every single player refuses to look at their cards until it's their turn. Sometimes UTG won't look at his cards without staring the table down...

So is everyone doing this? Only high stakes? Only low? Only NL?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Waiting until it\'s your turn to look at your hole cards?

I used to do it because I thought it was cool but I now I just do it out of reflex

Either way it never slowed the action down but this isn't the case for most
Old 05-04-2006, 02:43 AM

I don't do it that much anymore, but when I do it has nothing to do with tells. When I was a beginner I did it to make sure I was making my decision based on the action that led up to me. Now its just whatever, who cares.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:50 AM

Impatient a little? I do this out of habit, because when I started playing live, I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting anxious and acting out of turn. Fast forward 4 years from that time and I still wait, but not because of acting out of turn, but so I pay attention to the other action. Don't worry, the extra half second I spend looking at my cards isn't going to slow our game down. I'm pretty good at folding my 93o pretty quick too, one flick and in the muck. I'm not going to be giving off any tells that my opponents will be picking up anyway. Its just how I play the game.

Now, if you had made this a pointless rant against the people who wait, then stare down the rest of the table in their 3/6 game to look cool waiting to limp in with their Q4 sooooooooted, then you might be on to something.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 AM

It's exactly what I'm talking about, and yes I'm extremely impatient, like gamble-junky status.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:00 AM

I feel the same way. If your giving off any tells your not aware of when you look at your cards, why would you want to wait till the whole table is watching you to look at your cards. I look at my cards as soon as I get them, then observe what I can from the others that wait.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:53 AM

When I play NL I usually wait until it's my turn to act. When I play limit I usually look when the person on my right is getting ready to look/do something. If I'm in the big blind I usually look as soon as there's at least 1 limper. No real reason why, just habit.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm in the big blind I usually look as soon as there's at least 1 limper. No real reason why, just habit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this too, but because of the don't look/chop issue. Same when I am in the small blind.

-Tom
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 AM

I agree - poker is a slow game even when everyone is playing at normal pace. When 1 or 2 at the table are slow to act every hand it can become frustrating.

Its similar to playing golf in a foursome. You're going to be on the course long enough as it is - When its your turn to hit be ready to hit. If you are 1st to tee off on a hole get up there and tee off. Don't unneccessarily slow things down. I think thats just good etiquette.

Whenever I am UTG I immediately look at my cards as soon as I get my 2nd card and I know what I'm going to do before button gets their last card. When I'm SB, I have chips already in hand and as soon as flop hits I either check or put chips down, etc, etc. There are times of course when faced with a big decision that extra time is warranted - that doesn't bother me.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 AM

the best way to do it is as soon as you know what the person on your right is going to do, look. usually i can act just as fast that way as if i was to look at my cards as soon as they were dealt.