Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 01:20 AM

Default United 93...Possible to review objectively?

Now, I haven't seen United 93 yet, but I intend to very soon.

The debate me and a friend got into tonight is how much stock should be put in the "rave reviews" the film is receiving across the board. I made the claim that critics just aren't going to review this film objectively because of all the issues surrounding 9/11 and this film. Many questioned whether this came out too soon, whether it was in poor taste to make a blockbuster hit out of 9/11, etc. Because of this, I say that no matter what, MOST critics are gonna call United 93 "heroic, moving, emotional, gripping, beautiful", etc. simply because 9/11 is still a sensitive issue for a lot of people. To pan the movie about the most heroic event on the most tragic day of our country's history could be seen in the wrong light.

My friend claims critics are just reviewing the movie based on it's "merits as a film", but I just find this to be ignorant. No one can view a film on 9/11(less than 5 yrs later) objectively...in my opinion. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Re: United 93...Possible to review objectively?

I think you are wrong. People are going to be extra critical of the movie because of how soon it came out. Lots of people want to find any reason to rip it apart, so it getting good reviews means that it is probably very well done.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 AM

I just wanna know if they mention how the wreckage managed to be strewn over 8 miles.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanna know if they mention how the wreckage managed to be strewn over 8 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming by this comment you are saying you think it was shot down and covered up? Because I have heard other stories that cite a rumor saying Cheney ordered a military stand-down(allowing the planes to hit their targets and the Bush Admin's master plan to unfold). I need you guys to decide which conspiracy theory will be best, cause they can't both be true. But I don't wanna turn this into a politcal debate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 AM

Wow I just checked and pretty much every critic rated it extremely high. 2nd freshest movie of the year according to rotten tomatoes.

Lets hope it is actually good.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 AM

I also want to know if this part is in the movie because it sounds really cool.
[ QUOTE ]
"The airplane headed down; the control wheel was turned hard to the right. The airplane rolled onto its back, and one of the hijackers began shouting, 'Allah is the greatest. Allah is the greatest.'

"With the sounds of the passenger counter-attack continuing, the aircraft plowed into an empty field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, at 580 miles per hour, about 20 minutes' flying time from Washington, D.C."

[/ QUOTE ]
LINK

That's gotta make for a great scene. A fight scene in an upside down diving airplane? HELLS YEAH!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 AM

To be honest, it's not possible.

Why do you think crap movies like The Pianist get great reviews? Same reason.

In North America, there are 2 topics you cannot be anything but a follower with if you don't want your house windows broken:

1. Holocaust

2. 9/11

Is he making a quick buck off of this movie? Yes.

Is it wrong? I guess....

Am I going to see it? Definitely not. Why do I want drama in my life? Why do I want to remind myself of that day, it boggles my mind people even MAKE movies about it. What good does it do? It allows people to cry some more over what happened 4 [censored] years ago?

It sucks but it happens and the more you dwell on it, the longer it's going to stay.

My rating for the very existence of this movie: Rotten [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 AM

You can't objectively review anything, so it's a moot point.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:28 AM

Well if it doesn't have the upside down diving airplane fight scene then I give it the thumbs down because it's unrealistic.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 AM

Overall, I liked the movie and thought that it was done well. Although it is VERY slow in the beginning of the film, once the hijackings begin, it picks up. I've wondered particularly how accurate a lot of the movie is, in regards to how the military guys reacted to it and rules of engagement and how to approach the situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Well if it doesn't have the upside down diving airplane fight scene then I give it the thumbs down because it's unrealistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

*SPOILER WARNING* (white font)
<font color="white">This is how the film ends </font>