Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Default OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

I have a friend that moved to Austin, TX not that long ago. He absolutely loves it, says there is no shortage of jobs out there and just a ton of fun stuff to do.

I'm highly considering picking up and moving out there. I would like to get more people's perspective on the city.

Where are good areas to get an apartment, where are bad areas? Job situation (I myself do Customer Serivce/Administrative work...but could do pretty much anything that doesnt absolutely require a college degree.)

Let me know your thoughts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

Austin is a great place to live.
Living is relatively expensive if you're want to live downtown. I'd suggest between the area between 35th/45th street and between Mopac and I35 as a pretty good place to live (Search for Hyde Park). Still pretty centrally located. Living further South and East is also pretty affordable. I don't spend too much time in South Austin, as I don't usually go further South than Downtown, but it's a pretty cool place to live from what I hear. I work North and I refuse to deal with the traffic.
There's a lot of good outdoors stuff if you're into that. Plenty of good swimming and parks in the city, and there's a lot of cool places to the West in Hill Country.
A really fun place to live. A lot of what many people don't like about Texas isn't too prevalent in Austin. Really great places to eat too, and the night life is pretty decent. FWIW I'm a 25 year old college grad.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM

Nice thanks.

Yeah, I'm 25 and I'm just looking for a total change of pace. I dont want to deal with winter, I dont have any ties up here right now. I feel like I just want a laid back place to live, w/ fun and nice people and a place where I can get paid releatively well (I make $17/hr appx now) and where rent isnt crazy like it is up here.

Night life isnt a huge deal for me, but if I lived in the city I'd be more apt to go out and feel like I havent done enough of that. Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

It's looking more and more like Austin might be where it's at for me right now. Just trying to get the most info possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice thanks.

Yeah, I'm 25 and I'm just looking for a total change of pace. I dont want to deal with winter, I dont have any ties up here right now. I feel like I just want a laid back place to live, w/ fun and nice people and a place where I can get paid releatively well (I make $17/hr appx now) and where rent isnt crazy like it is up here.

Night life isnt a huge deal for me, but if I lived in the city I'd be more apt to go out and feel like I havent done enough of that. Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

It's looking more and more like Austin might be where it's at for me right now. Just trying to get the most info possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

T,

Want to rent the upstairs of my house?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you live way out in Worcester or something. Anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of Boston knows that this statement is totally false. It is fairly easy to get out and have a good time in Boston without too much hassle. Austin is nice, climate wise, and maybe what you need but Boston >>> Austin in just about every other aspect.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you live way out in Worcester or something. Anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of Boston knows that this statement is totally false. It is fairly easy to get out and have a good time in Boston without too much hassle. Austin is nice, climate wise, and maybe what you need but Boston >>> Austin in just about every other aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Austin >> Boston in annoying accents.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Austin >> Boston in annoying accents.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, yall talk reeal funny like out dere in boston
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like to drive into the city, there is always work going on etc... So if I go, I usually drive in w/ my friends. Then you gotta find parking. Taking the T in for a nice day is fine, but I dont like to walk around in freezing weather to get to the station. Plus you have to be back on it by like midnight or 1 to go home. It's not the biggest pain in the butt, but a minor one and I'd much rather hang out locally in a crappy bar that doesnt charge me $8 for a drink.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like to drive into the city, there is always work going on etc... So if I go, I usually drive in w/ my friends. Then you gotta find parking. Taking the T in for a nice day is fine, but I dont like to walk around in freezing weather to get to the station. Plus you have to be back on it by like midnight or 1 to go home. It's not the biggest pain in the butt, but a minor one and I'd much rather hang out locally in a crappy bar that doesnt charge me $8 for a drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tenn I would imagine you are going to have similar problems in many cities, unless you actually live downtown or a cheap cab ride away.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

T,

You'll have similar problems in Austin (except no train). But if you live somewhere like Hyde Park, its easy enough to cab it. At least thats if you want to go downtown. There are plenty of other things around town where thats not so much a problem. But even parking downtown in Austin is less of a problem than Boston ($5-8) and a short walk is better than what I saw when I was in Boston.

The freezing part, you don't have to worry about. It does get a bit chilly occasionally in the winter, but nothing you wouldn't laugh at. There are a ton of 2+2ers here, look for a cheap flight and come visit, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Are you an outdoorsy type much? A lot of the popular things to do here are outdoors and in the water (trails, toobing, water skiing, etc...).