Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Recovering from beatings

Night one: -130 BBs
Night two: +60 BBs
Night three: -160 BBs

I feel scared to even get on and play. How do you guys recover from downswings like this? Thanks boys.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Recovering from beatings

Depends

If I played bad and I know I did, I will probably go read a book and try and figure out what I'm doing wrong before playing any more.

If I think I played OK on the other hand, just take a break, try again.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends

[/ QUOTE ]

Wear them if a -230 swing gets you crazy. The getting drunk suggestion is also valid.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Night one: -130 BBs
Night two: +60 BBs
Night three: -160 BBs

I feel scared to even get on and play. How do you guys recover from downswings like this? Thanks boys.

[/ QUOTE ]
i usually get drunk or have a friend watch me play
Old 02-10-2006, 04:02 PM

I dont know which levels you play, but I dont consider this even a downswing. 160BBs is 1,6 buyins
Old 02-11-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know which levels you play, but I dont consider this even a downswing. 160BBs is 1,6 buyins

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you are talking about NL? He means Big Bet, not Big Blind, and has lost 320 Big blinds in a LIMIT game.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM

First thing is you go over your game with a fine toothed comb. Street by street.

b
Old 02-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Advice so far, well, seems like crap. You, like me, are in the middle of a downswing. No one's going to make you feel better but you and you can make yourself feel worse. Are you properly bankrolled so the actual loss doesn't bother you? If the money lost bothers you, move down. I don't care if you've been beating the game for weeks/months. Moving down will get your confidence back and if it doesn't, you simply won't lose as much. But of course, you could be like me and thing, even this advice is crap. Go back, play some more and lose even bigger. That's what I did and I feel like crap. Don't do it. If taking a day off helps, go for it. If you're like me, you're itching to play, but will be playing scared. Move down. Go play live. It's one table and slower. But don't (online or live) try to win it all back in one night. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Remind yourself (via the proper records you should be keeping) that your a winning player. If you're not, again move down.

This game is skill, but it's also confidence. Without confidence, you'll lose that value bet on the river. You'll fold cause your Kings always lose when an Ace flops. Getting your confidence back and don't play scared. Its not good for you and your bankroll.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Advice so far, well, seems like crap. You, like me, are in the middle of a downswing. No one's going to make you feel better but you and you can make yourself feel worse. Are you properly bankrolled so the actual loss doesn't bother you? If the money lost bothers you, move down. I don't care if you've been beating the game for weeks/months. Moving down will get your confidence back and if it doesn't, you simply won't lose as much. But of course, you could be like me and thing, even this advice is crap. Go back, play some more and lose even bigger. That's what I did and I feel like crap. Don't do it. If taking a day off helps, go for it. If you're like me, you're itching to play, but will be playing scared. Move down. Go play live. It's one table and slower. But don't (online or live) try to win it all back in one night. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Remind yourself (via the proper records you should be keeping) that your a winning player. If you're not, again move down.

This game is skill, but it's also confidence. Without confidence, you'll lose that value bet on the river. You'll fold cause your Kings always lose when an Ace flops. Getting your confidence back and don't play scared. Its not good for you and your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

And not one mention of looking into one's own game for leaks...

That also includes when one is on a great run of cards and winning, btw.

b
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And not one mention of looking into one's own game for leaks...

That also includes when one is on a great run of cards and winning, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

[bitterness-off]

Absolutely correct, too. Don't underestimate leaks or overestimate skill

[/bitterness-off]