Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Comeback......

This will prob turn into a big joke, but I wanted to come back on look for a little help and support from some of you MTTC guys. A few of you probably remember me from fall05-spring06 when I was posting allot, but I was lurking around for a while before then. When I first made my account on 2p2 I was barley a winning player, and was defintly losing online. I poked around for months, read posts by all of the top players, and did my best to soak everything up without really getting in the way much.

Over the 2 years or so that I have been here I cannot explain how much my game has imprved. I remeber a conversation I had with a freind about 2p2..."Buncha idiots? Or do they Know what they're talkin about?" he asked. "haha, adam, were not even playing poker, honestly, were clueless."
I look back now and I laugh, but 2p2 defintly changd my game in ways that I cannot describe. I printed out the entire antholgy and read every single one, mostly during class...

Things began to turn around. I began winning consistantly in my home game, jumped to a 50$ rebuy tourney just outside boston, with about 18-25 runners, and took that down several times in the following months....I was still relativly clueless, but was defintly making money, and started to build up a small roll while paying my rent, creditcards, and buying a car(nothin special, 2001 caddy)But was still clearly losing online. But I kept at it, and coninued to improve. August of 05 seemed to be the turning point in my online poker career. Up until then I had a few solid cashes here and there in 10$-30$ mtts, but they were all few and far between.

In august 05 I got hot and starting taking down a few tourneys on FTP, then FTd the LHE Monday night tourney at foxwoods(3waychop)and fllowed that up by FTing the NL tourney the next day, I returned home and alomst immediatly afterward I took down another 16k gntd on FTP. I was confident and moved up. Starting playing 1/2nl-2/4nl online and was succesful. In late August I won a 12k package to the WPT Finals at foxwoods by winning an FTP 200 person 200+16 satalite.
I wont bear you with the minor cashes in between but from the WPTfinals (dissapointing bubble on day 3 ugh, wtf!) to Febuary of 06 I consistantly won and made enough to pay bills, and live pretty well for a 23 year old kid.

I started posting more and tried to get involved a bit on the forums, sometimes I got flamed, but there were a few players who I really got along with and agreed with on allot of things, and learned from them when we disagreed. Poker became my primary source of income and I began playing online 40+ hours a week. I went on a tear and took down 4-5 decent cashes in the 17-20k gntd on FTP and was crushing a daily 50$ 6max MTT on FTP (I showed some of the numbers that I used to have from this tourney and they literally defied logic)and all the while building up a solid 20k+ roll....

I know I know, whats the point!? Well I was getting a little bit down on myself after a few months of playing consistantly. I had a GF who was always hounding me to come out and was absolutly sick of waiting around for me to wrap up a session, or god forbid I signed up for a MTT. The game was losing its fun, and I was getting bored. I moved up my limits, played bigger tournements, played higeher cash. It would work for a few weeks and I would move up, occasionaly sitting way over my roll in some of the 10-20nl-25-50nl games on FTP. Well it was only a matter of time before I would get bite in the ass right?

One night I had jumped into a HU 25-50nl game with a player, I have Honestly forgot his name which I think is hilarious, but needless to say I wont tell bad beat stories, but I got it in and lost a full buyin, rebought, and proceeded to dust off another buyin and a 1/2...prob around 13k...
Up until this point I had never done anything like this. Never moved up, never played rediculouly over my roll, never acted like a complete moron...but that Night I did. I was upset over the money, dont get me wrong, but it was more the feeling that I was capable of making such rediculous decisions. I literally stopped playing.

I still had a decent roll, but without throwing numbers around, 12k was a huge hit. I decided to take some time off and spend time with the GF, go out, and have fun. I left a couple hundo in FTP and probably played 20 tournies over the course of the summer, but never with any seriousness. I am a sociology major with a concntration in criminolgy and law with a minor in pysch, and told myself that I would focus more on school and my friends, and basiclly just play poker for fun. Some time off would be good.

Well I took the summer and most of the fall off and feel awesome. Im back in school and doing well, unfortunatly broke up with the gf but hey what can ya do? But the past few weeks the itch has come back. Ive been sweating the sunday FTs, lurking here and there around 2p2, and just recently started playing a few MTTS on FTP the past couple days. I feel great and honestly my game feels much better than I thought it would after taking all that time off. This post was basiclly a chance for me to try to jump back into the MTTC and get some help from some of you guys in getting my game back to where I was. Theres allot of players who I admire on here, and I think allot of younger guys that I can help.
I still have a decent amount of poker money left even after blowing money all summer while paying rent and having no job, but i will deposit slowly and attempt to work my way back up in a manner that is more humbling then just jumping back into the levels I was used to playing.

Maybe Ill get flamed for this but it felt like I needed to get allot off my chest, and I really think that allot of guys on here go through the sam kinda [censored] with getting tired of staying in and playing poker all day and night. I took some much needed time off and it took one night of getting my head kicked in to realize that. But i feel good now and im ready to approach the game the way I used to, maybe not the same hours or the same levels, but with the same mind frame that this is my income, my job.

A simple "welcome back" LL would be fine, but any advice from people who have gone through this kind of situation before would be greatly appriciated.
-LL
(sorry about typos, my keys are sticking)

PS; anyone wanna go to AC next week? Im going to play in the 300$ 6max at the TAJ and im looking to split up a room for a night or 2
Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Comeback......

Welcome back. Get back on your gravy train ($50 6-max MTTs) and stay active here.
~Justin
Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM

welcome back LL, you don't want any advice from me so I'll leave it at that.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM

Welcome back LL. You go to school in the Boston area?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys...
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome back LL. You go to school in the Boston area?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, Im at Suffolk Univ right now and will be looking into law school in the area within the next year....uhoh 2p2 home game!? haha
-LL
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Welcome back. I haven't gone through what you described but I do see how it could happen. Sounds like you have the right mindset for coming back though, and I wish you the best.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 PM

welcome back. i went through a similar stage about 3 years ago. basically playing games way above my head and tilting most of my hard earned profits away. i took time off just like you did and came back hard in the summer of 05. l learned to respect money and only play in games in which i feel comfortable and games in which i have an edge. so, hopefully you learned from your mistakes and i wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 PM

Nobody for the Taj huh?...
-LL
Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 AM

Hey, welcome back.. your tilt story is a little similar to mine a couple months ago, I basically lost about the same amount playing way over my roll and on tilt.. I think it stemmed from like a very very modest loss in NL400 (like 2 buy-ins) and then things can get out of hand pretty fast.. Sometimes you gotta learn a lesson the hard way and move on. Time has a good way of healing things.. I'm sure that in a year you will have forgotten about it if you display good br management for the rest of your poker career.

In regards to getting back into the swing of things and time management.. Poker is a very consuming game, setting times to how much you play could be good for some people.. also set aside a couple days each week to go out and not play poker.. This can be difficult due to the nature of Tournaments, which really requires a lot of time investment.. but then again there is a lot of time in the day and a balanced lifestyle can still be achieved with a little planning

You could also try to differentiate the type of games you play, as long as you have an edge.. i've been playing stt's mainly now and it caters to my game (and schedule) a bit better..
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 AM

gl LL,

I do urge you to keep poker as a hobby and nothing more than that - no more 40+ hours a week.