Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Annie Dukes book

I found this book on the bargain table at the local bookstore and picked it up since it was about poker and cheap. It seems to be pretty disorganized and she jumps back and forth alot, telling 2 the same time swapping chapters.
The problem is you can tell she didn't put alot of time into the book looking for errors and the proof reader was a non-poker person. I am about 1/3 of the way though and have found 2 mistakes that can't be put down to typos. She is talking about key hands in her WSOP O/8 win. The first hand she talks about is when she is short stacked and hit a big hand to increase her stack 4x
Her hand, A-Q-J-4.. the final board reads K-10-9-8-7.
She says she won because she had an Ace high straight, she even lists the hand A-K-Q-J-10. The best hand I can see her having is a King high straight.

2nd hand the one she knocked her brother out with..
She had A-A-10-9 ds, She says it wasn't a great hand because it doesn't offer a guranteed high and has little chance for a low..Sorry but that hand offers NO chance for a low.

Typos are one things but making statements like this are just awful.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Annie Dukes book

of course they are typos

HoH had a ton of these in the first printing.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:19 PM

Oops I meant posted this in wrong forum.
But how is saying a hand like A A 10 9 has little chance of making a low in O/8? that is just plain wrong.
Or saying My hole cards were A Q J 4.. the board came down K 10 9 8 7 giving me the nut high with an Ace high straight A K Q J 10 a typo? again it isn't that just wrong. That is just sloppy writing and not proofing your work. I would think that since she won a WSOP bracelet in the game she knows how to play it but that total donk won it 2005 and he couldn't read the board either so maybe she can't either.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 AM

OMG there were two mistakes in a book
Old 03-19-2006, 02:16 AM

It's not disorganized - the jumping around is intentional. She obviously alternates telling about her poker career and her life. I find this method of storytelling more interesting that if she would've just had nothing but tournament highlights.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops I meant posted this in wrong forum.
But how is saying a hand like A A 10 9 has little chance of making a low in O/8? that is just plain wrong.
Or saying My hole cards were A Q J 4.. the board came down K 10 9 8 7 giving me the nut high with an Ace high straight A K Q J 10 a typo? again it isn't that just wrong. That is just sloppy writing and not proofing your work. I would think that since she won a WSOP bracelet in the game she knows how to play it but that total donk won it 2005 and he couldn't read the board either so maybe she can't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can win a braclet in O8 thinking like this then I'll skip trying to win a seat in the ME and play the Omaha events.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Don't you think she's just a media creation? I mean they want to push women but she can't hold a candle to Harmon.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:39 AM

Look Harmon can't hold a candle to Harmon or the harmon creation. You are correct they are tying to creat STARS for TV rating purposes, I just hope the Stars believe their press.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:37 AM

Actually she strikes me as sort of an air head.

I played I tournament she was hosting in Chicago (which I won) and I found her "table talk" to be very high school girlish - Do you think homeless men are gay? Her refrences to her younger boyfriend were childish too. I was not impressed with her play eigther.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:33 AM

I agree totally. She has NO social skills and acts like a princess. Besides, she can't control her emotions at the table. One of the hands when she got busted you could totally tell by her facial expressions she was bluffing. Her brother is Howard Lederer but she's a media creation.