Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

I am planning on taking lessons, and either borrowing or buying a guitar from a friend. I am musically inclined, and while I can't actually read music, I can fake through singing sheet music decently. I'm big on reading, so what books would you recommend for a complete guitar noob, and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson, etc.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

there have been like five threads on this in the last month, use the search function.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson

[/ QUOTE ]

When considering tone, you need to be as concerned (if not more so) with the amplifier you're gonna buy. My advice is to get an all-tube amp. Peavey has a good tube/combo amp at a cheap price: Valve King 112 (1x12 combo) 50 watts for about $429 [the sustain on this little amp is amazing]. If your ear cannot yet differentiate between the sound of a solid state amp vs. a tube amp, and you want a bunch of different effects, a solid state amp to consider is the Line6 Spider III 120 Modeling Combo Amplifier for about $400.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM

So I guess you're happy with your investment IQ89?

Also, in response to the poster who recommended learning to read sheet music: I'm sure it would be good to be able to, but from my experience most guitarists, even excellent players, don't know how. If you have a good ear and can read tabs you'll be okay without sheet music. I've never learned a song any other way than by picking it up by ear and very occasionally by reading tabs.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Learning how to read sheet music takes very little time, making it very easily worth the investment.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Learning how to read sheet music takes very little time, making it very easily worth the investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say learning to read sheet music with proficiency takes quite a bit of time and effort. But maybe you're more gifted than others, or I'm deficient. At any rate, with a guitar simply seeing the notes on the page wouldn't always be that helpful, as they don't instruct you on which fret and which string you should use. With many songs you're going to be better served by tablature anyway. The most accessible learning method is often the best, as it decreases the likelihood of the student becoming intimidated and overwhelmed. Tabs are easy, and they clue you in to common guitar shapes and tricks that sheet music won't.

I can't really say you're wrong though. There's certainly no harm in knowing how to read sheet music. But I wouldn't make it a first priority starting out. I'd try to find out if I actually had enough talent and patience to make good sounds come out of my new instrument before I put effort into reading music.

I believe in a different approach than you though. I think the best way to learn to play guitar is to work quickly toward being able to play actual songs, so that you get a reward for your effort. The quickest way to do that is to learn to switch easily between all the basic open chords and strum with rhythm. Then add barre chords and you've got a whole world of music open to you.

I learned on a junky acoustic with such high action that the only thing I could play was open chords. After a few months of practice I already knew at least a hundred simple strumming songs and had a lot of fun playing and singing without knowing how to do anything else. I moved on to advanced picking and pentatonic scales later.

Edit: In short, get a chord book and practice basic chords till your fingers bleed. Quick way to start having fun with the guitar.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Well I'm probably biased because for me, sitting and going up and down a scale for hours is enjoyable. I tend to enjoy picking and solos more than chords. I agree with you though that chords are very important to a beginner, and practicing them should be a high priority.

As for reading sheet music, I agree that to read complicated sheet music proficiently and to quickly translate that into frets does take a LOT of time, but I think it is in any musician's best interest to learn how to read basic sheet music.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess you're happy with your investment IQ89?

Also, in response to the poster who recommended learning to read sheet music: I'm sure it would be good to be able to, but from my experience most guitarists, even excellent players, don't know how. If you have a good ear and can read tabs you'll be okay without sheet music. I've never learned a song any other way than by picking it up by ear and very occasionally by reading tabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what my friend does too, but he told me I should learn the right way.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson

[/ QUOTE ]
If your ear cannot yet differentiate between the sound of a solid state amp vs. a tube amp, and you want a bunch of different effects, a solid state amp to consider is the Line6 Spider III 120 Modeling Combo Amplifier for about $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I have the spider II 30 watt amp and it's amazing for it's size and rock sound. Get this amp if you like heavy rock / rock. Got it for around 350$cnd a year ago.

I would recommend that you get some descent gear. If you buy [censored] guitar/amps you will sound [censored]. Spend maybe 400 on a guitar and 300 on a amp minimum (thats new). You could get more for your money if you buy used of course.
But it's a important factor in staying with it for the long run, trust me.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Guitar Hero.