Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Changing my game - is it possible to play?

Alright so i'm running arse bad these days, and just spewing money out in every direction. So that aside, I tighten my game up huge and I'm doing my best not to loose.

And I start to think...

Is it possible to just play pocket pairs?

Could this be done profitably? I mean seriously, could i just basically set mine with my small pairs and play my AA-JJ perhaps 1010? Would i be playing to few hands that i would be loosing out to the blinds/rake/not making enough when i hit my hands?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Changing my game - is it possible to play?

At the lowest levels of the micro stakes yes. Include AK and AQ also.

At any level where you are seeing regular players frequently, no. This is easily exploitable.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM

maybe theoretically, but the idea with cash games is that you should never be turning down +EV situations, and that means playing non-pocket pair hands. instead of trying some kind of revolutionary type of play, why dont you just read a book and read the forums? this type of play would be extremely expolitable. FWIW, i could not be profitable playing like this
Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM

there was a style called "Smash Theory", which i believe came from Smasharoo, that used to b very popular in the Party days. it sed that, with a full stack, u limp all PPs 22-QQ, call raises based on the 5-10rule, and push any set (no slow playing, just open pushin or overpushing. also, u wud fold them as an overpr.). u open push KK-AA pf. and u limp all suitd Axss, play them on a 3-7rule, and push all made flushes and FDs.

however, the way the game is now, i wudnt expect this to work on any level but 2-10nl, and possibly 25nl. u wud also have to 18+ table this for it to even show a profit i believe. either way...i wudnt suggest it.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a style called "Smash Theory", which i believe came from Smasharoo, that used to b very popular in the Party days. it sed that, with a full stack, u limp all PPs 22-QQ, call raises based on the 5-10rule, and push any set (no slow playing, just open pushin or overpushing. also, u wud fold them as an overpr.). u open push KK-AA pf. and u limp all suitd Axss, play them on a 3-7rule, and push all made flushes and FDs.

however, the way the game is now, i wudnt expect this to work on any level but 2-10nl, and possibly 25nl. u wud also have to 18+ table this for it to even show a profit i believe. either way...i wudnt suggest it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried something like this recently, but my reasons were in trying to explore how certain types of preflop play can result in optimal SPR on the flop. Basically limping everything playable (and I mean everything), calling raises if <5% with or without position, and if I had a big hand like AK,AA-QQ and got raised, I'd 3 bet something like 16BB.

It did make money but not much (but it was mostly during the leaner part of the day), but it was only like 5K hands.

It is pretty boring
Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Yah its basically robot play, perhaps worse than Limit..nasty word. one question though so i can complete some math

Average hands per hour @ FR online?

And Max tables at Poker Stars?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM

there is a guy on 50NL FTP who I have a line on of 10/0/1 who is positive (he 12 tables). I am always amazed how many people pay him off, but I think the 50NL game on FTP has loosened up in the last 3 months.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM

It is possible...

Heh, you knew that though.

Anyways... I think if you table select it can be mildly profitable. It depends how deep you are going to play and if you are going to make any plays besides set mining.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM

sure if want to win 1ptbb for the rest of your life
Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure if want to win 1ptbb for the rest of your life

[/ QUOTE ]

SIGN ME UP!