Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 04:12 PM

Default 3 betting 98s HU

B2B SH 2/4 (anyone know a converter?)
First hand at the table

Hero with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB
preflop (6 handed): 4 folds, villain (SB) raises, Hero reraises, villain caps.

FLOP: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls

TURN: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls

RIVER: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, Hero?

preflop: a little aggro, i know. at least i know i have to hit.

flop: okay, i hit. call and raise the turn? no, im way ahead and if he has an overpair i can get multiple bets here. he just calls, grrr.

turn: he doesnt CR, grr.

river: he bets, cool. or not? no draw came in and he played his hand like 2 overcards, so i think i can easily raise his AK or AT or whatever. if he 3 bets should i cap?
or someone prefer a call?

i am mainly interested in what should i do when he 3 bets this river and if i should have taken another line at the flop?

thank you.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: 3 betting 98s HU

PF is meh, I might do that if someone has been stealing my blind every single orbit. Flop and turn are fine. River, I raise, there's no way he's putting you on a 9, I'm sure he has some A and thinks he just rivered your JT or whatever.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:15 PM

I really don't like the PF 3bet here. But that doesn't really matter. If he's capped PF I think you might be better off calling the flop and raising the turn. He probably has a high pocket pair or overcards. If he has overcards, raising the flop will probably put him in call down mode. If you raise the turn, he'll probably call down and you'll get an extra SB out of him.

Also, I think you should definitely raise the river/call his 3-bet. His Ak just TPTK.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:17 PM

yeah, i would say that a raise is in order. i see a lot of this kind of silliness with people that try to drag out an A-rag to the river.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:28 PM

I don't like the preflop raise, but it's good for fold equity on the flop, so in that respect it's ok. I think on the river you've got a pretty easy raise. He's got AK/AQ/AT a lot here.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:32 PM

Raise no question. He can't put you on a 9 yet, and will likely call your raise with any A, especially if it was good enough to cap pf.

I like mixing in the flop raise with waiting until the turn, b/c then when I raise the flop with my KJ or Ax the table knows I could be playing a monster. Raising flop only with draws/overs and waiting until turn with only made "nuts-type" hands makes you predictable. That said, most people play that way, so your flop raise probably you LESS likely to have a 9 in his mind. Make him pay for betting into you on the river and he'll think twice before doing it again (and yes, I call the 4-bet and lose when he has AA, but there's too many hands I'm ahead of to miss this bet and besides, if he does have AA (or any 9) he probably raises the turn.

If he does bet/fold to your raise, you just found a weapon vs. this player in the future, so not winning an extra bet now is not totally lost.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop: a little aggro, i know. at least i know i have to hit

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you have to hit if you don't raise this hand as well. Just call.

I raise the river. Only think he can have here that beats you is AA giving his betting pattern. He's calling your raise with AK AQ.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
preflop: a little aggro, i know. at least i know i have to hit

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you have to hit if you don't raise this hand as well. Just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre right.

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the river. Only think he can have here that beats you is AA giving his betting pattern. He's calling your raise with AK AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
here is more of the river:
RIVER: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, Hero raises, SB reraises, Hero thinks calling and capping has the same EV?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 PM

well since you cant get 5-bet i think its fine to cap here.

hardly anyone plays anything that beats you that slow after the flop. TT? no, 9x? no, AA? nah.

i dont really mind preflop occassionally. today i capped 98s on the button vs. a tag sb 3-bet. here you have an unknown, so you dont really have future metagame for a reason but i think doing this is good time to time. it helps get your lagtard juices flowing.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:57 AM

Raise the river, and cap it if he 3-bets you. He has definately not represented anything close to AA yet, so you really shouldn't be concerned about the river. In fact, it turned out to be a great card for you.