Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Default moving up should i change anything?

yeah I have been playing 100NL fr for about 2.5 months been beating it for about 2ptbb/100 and have build up my BR to about 20BIs for 200NL, I run a 19/6/2.5 game and it seems to work not great but consistent. it would probably be higher if I didnt 6 table but hay...

was wondering if I should change anything when moving up to 200NL and 6tabling? should I fold the smaller PPs to raises since probably the players are better and wont give me their stack and make it worth the call when i hit that set? or should I play more aggro since it seems from the plrs/flp ratios they might be a bit weak atleast preflop?

if anybody has made this move up in limits recently, what if any was the most noticable changes in the play at this level?

all advice appreciated
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: moving up should i change anything?

Yes and no. I think you shouldn't move up right now. Your VPIP seems very high compared to your PFR. Work on your game. Reduce your vpip and increase your pfr till your VPIP is no more than twice your pfr. I don't know which style will fit you the best you might end 10/7 or 16/8 that's not really important but from your stat I'm sure some of your preflop call are simply spewing.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 AM

wow lower vp$ip???? @ 200nl I don't see him getting paid very often with a vp$ip of 10. How about just raising his pfr. Try mxing it a little like raising with small -med. pp from time to time. Gl keep us posted
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Generally I'd recommend opening up your game a bit at stakes where you can cope with flutuations. Then, when you move up and - presumably - come up against better players you can change gears more easily. Also, some of the best opportunties are at broken-up FR tables and if you just play tight ABC FR poker then you may not adjust so easily.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Less limping OOP with small PP's and and small suited connectors. Most tables have at least 5 regulers so at least half the time a reguler will be on the button and it is very rare that a reguler will let you limp, and they dont pay off made hands much. Compensate for that by raising with lesser hands in position. Dont take a shot by starting off with 6 tables because a little bad luck will kill your confidece. Play 2 tables NL200 and the rest NL100 if you get bored. Take a 3 buy-in shot, if you lose 3 buyins move back down.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Less limping OOP with small PP's and and small suited connectors. Most tables have at least 5 regulers so at least half the time a reguler will be on the button and it is very rare that a reguler will let you limp, and they dont pay off made hands much. Compensate for that by raising with lesser hands in position. Dont take a shot by starting off with 6 tables because a little bad luck will kill your confidece. Play 2 tables NL200 and the rest NL100 if you get bored. Take a 3 buy-in shot, if you lose 3 buyins move back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the advice, I really like the Idea of the 3BI limit and palying 2tables to start with.

I usually limp call with the low PPs if the raise is not that big and I hardly ever play small suited connecters unless I am on the BTN or right before it.

according to my PT data the small suited connecters werent +ev at 100NL so as you said it probably wont be at 200NL either cause they will make me pay to see a flop.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

thanks for the replies, I have played about 35K hands at 100NL and I have only been playing at stars, I think the games are kind of tough when compared to other sites but I just made platinum and like the FPP system(kinda).

I know I should probably have a higher PFR but i dont like it when people start playing back at me hard thinking I am a total donk and am raising them with nothing all the time, I knnow this would seem a leak but I rather play like this then experience alot of varience. I started with about 12bucks last august at 10NL and have moved up whenever I have had 20BIs for the next level, playing tight and conservative I have never gone negative for more than 50BB of the initial 20BIs.

in so many words I am a puss,,, but seriously I think this strategy helps me lose less on the down swings but may keep me from winning big on the upswings and I am personally ok with it but will it work playing 200NL.

so far from the looks of things most of the players at the 200NL tables seem like abc poker players and alot of multitablers are there, but I have yet so see alot of funny play which would show great read by a particular player on someone, they all seem very mechanical! but what do I know I only have a few hundred hands in.
tx again
Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I have been playing 100NL fr for about 2.5 months been beating it for about 2ptbb/100 and have build up my BR to about 20BIs for 200NL, I run a 19/6/2.5 game and it seems to work not great but consistent. it would probably be higher if I didnt 6 table but hay...

was wondering if I should change anything when moving up to 200NL and 6tabling? should I fold the smaller PPs to raises since probably the players are better and wont give me their stack and make it worth the call when i hit that set? or should I play more aggro since it seems from the plrs/flp ratios they might be a bit weak atleast preflop?

if anybody has made this move up in limits recently, what if any was the most noticable changes in the play at this level?

all advice appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands have you played?