Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Am I crazy calling with A high?

NL50 Prima FR
Villain is 55/20. He's agressive and is continually making big bets. He's on a rollercoaster - he shows 7 high when looked up or close to nuts.

History with him:
AKs in MP raise 3$ after 2 limpers and he reraises to 12$. I didnt want to play OOP and havent seen him reraise before so I folded.

Get AA. Raise to 2.5$ after a limper, he makes it 10$ and we get it in pf. He didnt have kings cause K flopped, prima doesnt show mucked hands. I take it down.

To the hand in question. AK in MP 4BB raise, he calls. Flop JT7 rainbow. He has 70% fold to flop bet but I didnt want to bet here. He would call with a draw and him having position is bad. I check, he checks. Turn is a 3. I check with intention of calling - he may have anything, and he bets 5$. I call. River is 3. I check again. He thinks for some time and bets 12$.
My thinking was this. If he had any piece of the board on the flop he wouldnt slowplay it. Also if he had some kind of pp, he would bet it on flop, failing that he prolly wouldnt bet river again with it since he would be afraid I actually caught sth on the flop. I believed he is full of it and I called.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Am I crazy calling with A high?

Prima doesn't show mucked hands? wtf?

No you're not crazy. This is one of those spots where you are much more qualified to tell us if you're crazy or not. There are plenty of guys that I play with (live that is) all the time that I will look up with A high or small pp's, and many online that I wouldn't even consider it. Based on what you said about villian a call doesn't seem too bad, just know that you could easily run into 22, 3x or 44-88 and lose.

So basically, is it crazy? You tell me.

IMO it seems ok.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 PM

You can wait and find a much better spot than this if he is that aggressive. Look for a spot where you have a good hand.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 PM

raistlin has a point about waiting for a better spot but I don't mind looking people up kinda light occasionally since it promotes people betting into me and when I am keeping pots small I tend to be a little cagey. I really don't mind people betting into me a lot and actually sorta shape my game around it in some vague abstract way...I would probly benefit from putting it in words but I don't want to exert any effort.

I think a call is ok and folding A high here as a robotic move is bad for multiple reasons. The "wait for a better spot" argument is quite overused IMO since often this could be a very easy spot to pick up 24bb's on the river. It is very read dependent so I don't know if this is one of those spots, but it could be and universally saying no thanks is lazy and stupid IMO.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raistlin has a point about waiting for a better spot but I don't mind looking people up kinda light occasionally since it promotes people betting into me and when I am keeping pots small I tend to be a little cagey. I really don't mind people betting into me a lot and actually sorta shape my game around it in some vague abstract way...I would probly benefit from putting it in words but I don't want to exert any effort.

I think a call is ok and folding A high here as a robotic move is bad for multiple reasons. The "wait for a better spot" argument is quite overused IMO since often this could be a very easy spot to pick up 24bb's on the river. It is very read dependent so I don't know if this is one of those spots, but it could be and universally saying no thanks is lazy and stupid IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
The advertising is a very good point as well, especially if there are some observant regulars at the table that see you do it. I was coming from the point of waiting for a better spot against a bunch of unknowns who you may never see again, but this would definatly be a good spot for some advertising against some regulars.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM

I wouldnt necessarily consider it "advertising" but I spose that's really what it is. I also was responding to OP's villian having showed 7 high or close to the nuts. If he has made complete bluffs with air then AK high could be good here and OP's logic makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM

to answer your question. YES. you are crazy. as stated previously, you can find a much better spot. i wouldn't get into the habit of check/calling with nothing. dont be one of those people that overplays AK.