Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Is a Good Screen Name EV+?

Do you guys think there's anything to gain from choosing a good screen name?

I was thinking along the lines of choosing a really girly SN which might make some of my opponents underestimate me thinking I was just a stupid teenage girl lost in a cruel mans game.

Your 2 cents?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Is a Good Screen Name EV+?

I think so. Something not politically correct (slavery_lol) or feminine would probably be the best for this purpose.

Don't expect people to just start spewing you money of course, but I think it's a real, even if subtle difference against some opponents.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Any suggestions hasu?

I was thinking along the lines of "Pinkponygirl" or maybe "prettygirl89". Something with a lot of Y's since they add to the immaturity of the name I believe.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Pinkponygirl"

[/ QUOTE ]haha
Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions hasu?

I was thinking along the lines of "Pinkponygirl" or maybe "prettygirl89". Something with a lot of Y's since they add to the immaturity of the name I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I.. know somebody.. that just went on their AIM list and pulled out something that was discreet and believable. It has worked out pretty well for them. Some of the other suggestions in the thread are probably better though.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 AM

I think you're trying to get fish to push you around with the little girl thing. Two problems with that are the fish don't push people around and they also will know that you are a guy, especially if you call yourself pinkponygirl or prettygirl89. (A third problem is they might softplay you in stead of try to push you around [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) Making the fish think you push them around is probably better. Something aggressive with the potential to tilt people should work better I think. Like slavery_lol previously mentioned. I also like lolufoldEZ (regular on full tilt msnl).

The EV of this is questionable, and if it's there it is neglible probably. But no reason to not pick up any free EV you can.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're trying to get fish to push you around with the little girl thing. Two problems with that are the fish don't push people around and they also will know that you are a guy, especially if you call yourself pinkponygirl or prettygirl89. (A third problem is they might softplay you in stead of try to push you around [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) Making the fish think you push them around is probably better. Something aggressive with the potential to tilt people should work better I think. Like slavery_lol previously mentioned. I also like lolufoldEZ (regular on full tilt msnl).

The EV of this is questionable, and if it's there it is neglible probably. But no reason to not pick up any free EV you can.

[/ QUOTE ]
For low buy-in SNGs at least then I think it makes a difference. My Party name is aggressive sounding with the word "Bully" in it whereas my Empire name is "I Love You" in another language. It's pretty clear by looking at the PT stats that my Party name gets spite called way more often than my Empire name. Only one more month until I can change it again, and I will certainly be picking something like "pinkponygirl" (ROFL!) next time.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Personally, I set up a female name on PS. Didn't go as well as I had hoped. It pretty much took bluffing/semi bluffing completely out of my game(no respect what-so-ever). I was looked up every friggin time it seemed. Wish I didn't do it. LOL

But gl.

I had always prefered to go with a name not associated with poker, i.e. Bluffking, Riverdonk... Well you get the idea.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Yeah this is an idea I never went through with but yeah put something provocative in the S/N like Nawty with either a girly avatar on FT or a pic of an 8+ on stars and bam about 27% (conservative) of male poker players already have a hardon and the timeouts involved in getting a quickie off while you're betting into them will result in hugely positive EV.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For low buy-in SNGs at least then I think it makes a difference. My Party name is aggressive sounding with the word "Bully" in it whereas my Empire name is "I Love You" in another language. It's pretty clear by looking at the PT stats that my Party name gets spite called way more often than my Empire name.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had this issue, with a clever aggressive seeming Nick, it's great for cash games versus Fish when you want them calling all the more. But around the bubble in a SnG, where most players are too passive, it seems to get me called by lots of raggy Aces & Kings etc. Great when you have a decent pocket pair, or AK (except they seem to spike their Ace (King) far too often!), but it seems to get me being the one in the big clash round the bubble.

Also, they'll decide I probably don't have much, and will PI rather than fold hands like K9,QJ or even J9, which is when you realise AT ain't that far ahead. This seems to happen even if I've been inactive, though showing some big hands does help.

The other players, just seem to get less action at and near the money. So I'm choosing a more Fishy nick in future, that will have a lower profile. You just don't get enough big hands with a decent edge, to make the extra resistance beneficial.