Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM

Default far too common spot of trouble

okay i posted this in midhigh shorthanded
but see it also having definite merit here
and am looking for all the insight i can find

villian raises from CO
HERO 3bets QQ from BB
villian calls

flop A 8 3

HERO bets
villian raises
HERO (?)

whats the least exploitable line to take here?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10476841
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: far too common spot of trouble

[censored] him, he doesn't have an ace. 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. If he raises you there, he'd have to be a very frequent semi-bluffer (if for example the turn brings a straight/flush draw) for folding there to be wrong. But you charge him for trying to push you off QQ with some BS flop raise.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM

k i was leaning towards a 3bet on the flop
i have a few questions after that though

if it gets capped do we fold or continue?

and if he just calls our turn bet

what do you like to do on the river?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM

I dunno why would we want to push him off a BS raise? seems like a call down is a little better.

I mean we can all agree he's not folding a better hand right? so we either overrep our hand and get him to call down with AT or fold 55 or we make him hope we'll fold. that's if we're really intent on a showdown.

I understand what you mean by non-exploitable but I think the mixed strategy should involve calls and folds, I don't really see any point in gassing here.

I had a hand recently.. KK utg raise on what is obviously my last hand of the weekend. folds to button who 3bets I cap. flop is ace high, I bet and call his raise. turn I check/call. river check check and I win. I'm not sure how I play that hand any better? obv the positions are different but I think the dynamics are somewhat similar.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I understand what you mean by non-exploitable but I think the mixed strategy should involve calls and folds, I don't really see any point in gassing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, it's a short-handed game where people will call down lightly, and at least any decent pair. So I'm not worried about him folding. I'm worried about him getting off cheaply with TT/99/77/66/98/T8. If you just call, he's checking the turn behind too often -- that's missed value as well as giving some jerk-off a free card in a pot that's already 5BBs big.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Rudeboy, post the suits here b/c it makes a difference
PJ, Why would you ever want to 3 bet here? It's a WA/WB situation. If you 3 bet you blow him off his hand, if he's got a PP you make him fold when he woulda bluffed the turn and river. If he goes for a free card on the turn, not a big deal b/c the pot is small. I'd rather just call here, call the turn, and reevaluate on the river. 3 betting is bad b/c he may just call down w/a an ace and you're never folding a better hand.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, it's a short-handed game where people will call down lightly, and at least any decent pair. So I'm not worried about him folding. I'm worried about him getting off cheaply with TT/99/77/66/98/T8. If you just call, he's checking the turn behind too often -- that's missed value as well as giving some jerk-off a free card in a pot that's already 5BBs big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the sort of player who raises the flop with any of those hands isn't calling down if you 3bet very often and certainly also isn't checking behind on the turn. In fact, I don't remember the last time I encountered a player who would raise this flop without an Ace and check behind when called, and calldown once you 3bet.

Rob
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] him, he doesn't have an ace. 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. If he raises you there, he'd have to be a very frequent semi-bluffer (if for example the turn brings a straight/flush draw) for folding there to be wrong. But you charge him for trying to push you off QQ with some BS flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM

I never 3 bet here and I rarely 3 bet AK here. I like call, check/call, check/decide probably. It's weak but you did ask for least exploitable.

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never 3 bet here and I rarely 3 bet AK here. I like call, check/call, check/decide probably. It's weak but you did ask for least exploitable.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.... and I think joker's advice as a rule is bad. But doing that occassionally is not, because you reap meta game benefits. If villain knows you can 3b there with less than an ace he will be far less likely to bluff here in the future (if he is bluffing), and so save you from this lose/lose spot.

Also, it only costs one more SB....