Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 PM

Default how is your handreading?

Villain is new to me, stats so far are 31/23 preflop over 100 hands, aggression factor around 4. I have not played any pots (atleast not anything to remember) with him besides this one, but I have a feeling he is a thinking player.

I don't want posts from microstakes players or random guys like LARRY DAVID on this one.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB ($1089)
UTG ($1548)
MP ($1528.75)
Hero ($1131)
Button ($894)
SB ($975)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $130</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $95.

Flop: ($270) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($270) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $111</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $310</font>, Hero calls $199.

River: ($890) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $535 (All-In)</font>, Hero?

edit to add: I waited a bit before calling turn, and he pretty much instashoved river.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: how is your handreading?

I definitely call the river, but I dont understand how you didnt get it in earlier against this guy
Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM

I agree I could have bet flop or made a bigger bet on the turn. I would probably have to call a shove if I bet flop though, and I didn't have very solid reads.

What do you put him on on the river?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM

a 9? busted spades? underpair? quads?

edit: and I play it the same as you do, but I push the turn over his check/raise. I like your flop check as a default line.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM

I Think I call here. Only hand he could reasonably do this with that you are behind is with a 7.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM

For me, this is what it comes down to: he checks the flop (probably decent wide range), you check it back (probably a draw, AK, or one pair looking for pot control). THEN HE CHECKS THE TURN AGAIN. Any real hand will bet the turn, since the board is so draw heavy and you have shown no inclination to bet. So his c/r looks very FOS to me. And since the board is very draw heavy and you have less than a PSB left, I would just push it in here.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, this is what it comes down to: he checks the flop (probably decent wide range), you check it back (probably a draw, AK, or one pair looking for pot control). THEN HE CHECKS THE TURN AGAIN. Any real hand will bet the turn, since the board is so draw heavy and you have shown no inclination to bet. So his c/r looks very FOS to me. And since the board is very draw heavy and you have less than a PSB left, I would just push it in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i could easily see TT/88 being played like this on flop/turn
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Looks like TT to me...
Or a pair + nine looking to CR the flop, and a bunch of these now beat you.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:12 PM

i could easily see TT/88 being played like this on flop/turn

[/ QUOTE ]

yep easily.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that his line looks very cheesy. That is sortof the point with this post. Since I believe villain is a thinking player who knows his line does not represent anything AT ALL, I don't think he has the balls to checkraise AIR there and then instapush river when an eight rolls off.

I made the bet on the turn to mess with him to be honest. I was 95% sure I had the best hand and I wanted to give him an opportunity to make a big mistake. For example by attacking my "weak" bet with something like missed overs, 22 or other random hands. FWIW I dont think he plays any draw like that. It just seems so awkward on the turn, espcially since he has to dump it if I push turn.

So given that I should gladly put my chips in since I kinda induced the action I wanted! But something didnt' seem right when he actually did it. It was just soooo obvious that his line did not represent anything that I didnt think he had the nerve to raise there without having me beat. So I froze up and just called to see if he gave up on the river....