Default How will the world end

Serious discussion today folks. Your options are

Mass terrorist attack/nukes
Global warming
Gigantic natural disaster ie massive earthquake/meteor/hurricane
Sun Burns out
Alien attack
Other

Please discuss which option you think it most likely to end our planet.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: How will the world end

Global warming...this could cause a lot of natural distaters such as massive hurricanes. I don't think this is very close.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Global warming...this could cause a lot of natural distaters such as massive hurricanes. I don't think this is very close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a climatologist or something? I like how sure you are.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 PM

"The world won't end with a whimper or a bang, but with a discreet, tasteful announcement: 'Bill Rivervale, phone call holding, line two.' Then nothing."
Old 08-25-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:

"Storm strength leading to extreme weather is increasing, such as the power dissipation index of hurricane intensity[6]. Kerry Emmanuel in Nature writes that hurricane power dissipation is highly correlated with temperature, reflecting global warming. Hurricane modeling has produced similar results, finding that hurricanes, simulated under warmer, high-CO2 conditions, are more intense; there is less confidence in projections of a global decrease in numbers of hurricanes. Worldwide, the proportion of hurricanes reaching categories 4 or 5 – with wind speeds above 56 metres per second – has risen from 20% in the 1970s to 35% in the 1990s."
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:

"Storm strength leading to extreme weather is increasing, such as the power dissipation index of hurricane intensity[6]. Kerry Emmanuel in Nature writes that hurricane power dissipation is highly correlated with temperature, reflecting global warming. Hurricane modeling has produced similar results, finding that hurricanes, simulated under warmer, high-CO2 conditions, are more intense; there is less confidence in projections of a global decrease in numbers of hurricanes. Worldwide, the proportion of hurricanes reaching categories 4 or 5 – with wind speeds above 56 metres per second – has risen from 20% in the 1970s to 35% in the 1990s."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wind Shear is increasing too

[ QUOTE ]
Climate model simulations for the 21st century indicate a robust increase in wind shear in the tropical Atlantic due to global warming, which may inhibit hurricane development and intensification. Historically, increased wind shear has been associated with reduced hurricane activity and intensity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:

[/ QUOTE ]

there was an ice age documentary on a while ago about the 1500s. from 1520-1580 or so temperatures in central europe dropped by a some relatively huge #. there is evidence in soil samples, rocks, and tree rings.

during the next century, obviously temperatures rose by a similar #.

climatology is so ridiculously tough to see while it is going on.

now, that being said, i agree that just in case we ARE causing global warming, we should do everything humanly possible to prevent it's continuation (i.e. we shoudl recycle and i do. we should reduce emissions whenever possible and once ethanol is available by me i'll be buying it)

Barron
Old 08-25-2007, 08:39 PM

winged monkies
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of peoples first response is global warming, but honestly, how will it take for global warming to kill everyone on our planet? The chance a huuuge meteor or a gigantic nuclear bomb killing everyone off is probably a greater likelyhood.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of peoples first response is global warming, but honestly, how will it take for global warming to kill everyone on our planet? The chance a huuuge meteor or a gigantic nuclear bomb killing everyone off is probably a greater likelyhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not directly, but it will probably cause a lot more wars because of mass migration screwing up society and drastically increasing water demands. Also drastically increasing poverty, leading to political crises.