Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Default workout for weight gaining

A year ago I started working out, trying to gain weight and eating a ton. Im 6'1 175 was 158 year ago. I aim for 4k calories a day eating. Im hoping to gain 10-15 more pounds. Here is what I've been doing:

Day 1
Bench
Military Press
tricep pulldown
dumbell flys

Day 2
Squats
deadlift
calf raises

Day 3
pullup/lat pulldown
rows
curls
dips

I do 5 sets of 5 with enough weight that by the end I couldnt do another. ie once I can do 5x5 I add more weight the next time. Basically anything I know is from reading a few things on the internet so I was wondering if anyone has any tips. I try to use free weights whenever possible.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: workout for weight gaining

Your Day 3 looks like a POS. All the good lifts are in the first two days. What kind of rows? Are you weighting the dips? Are you looking to maximize hypertrophy only?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your Day 3 looks like a POS. All the good lifts are in the first two days. What kind of rows? Are you weighting the dips? Are you looking to maximize hypertrophy only?

[/ QUOTE ]

so what can I change with the day 3? The rows are a machine that I sit with arms straight and then pull them to my chest. The dips arent weighted, I do sets of 8 with those, how do you do weighted ones? I dont understand your last question.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM

I'm asking whether you're looking to build muscle size and bulk only, or whether functional strength is a goal of yours. What are some of your major lift numbers? How much can you squat/deadlift/bench with good form? If your basic strength is good I might recommend moving to a hypertrophy-specific program (hypertrophy = gaining muscle), but based on some of your questions I'm gonna guess you basically spent a year dicking around in the gym and eating a lot.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 PM

yeah hypertrophy is what IM looking for only. I was very very clueless when I started. I just used all machines for awhile. your guess is pretty accurate although Im trying to learn more. This is what Ive done for the 5x5. Ive never really tried to max out for one rep.

bench-125
squat-165
deadlift-210
Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Here's imo opinion a better breakdown:

Day 1:
squats
weighted pullups

Day 2:
deadlift
bench

Day 3:
Power cleans + push press
dips (weight or assist to get rep range bw 2 & 8)

Throw in the other ancilliary exercises if you want, but focus on big compound movements for gaining mass and do lots of sets at high intensity. In your warmups work all the skills - pullups, dips, pushups, squats (try overhead squats with a lat pulldown bar - great for getting your core warmed up).

5x5 is great, but try and mix it up sometime. Maxing out on lifts is the best way to measure progress so do it at least once a month - plus it is a lot of fun.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 PM

thanks smiley, I feel retarded asking this again, but Ive never seen anyone do weighted dips or pullups, do I need to buy something to be able to do this?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks smiley, I feel retarded asking this again, but Ive never seen anyone do weighted dips or pullups, do I need to buy something to be able to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just put a dumbell between your thigs and squeeze up with your calves. This should suit you fine up to at least 50lbs. If you need to do more weight you can buy weight belts that have a chain you can loop through plates.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Theres nothing wrong with your workout at all, other than randomly doing dips on a back and biceps day. I do a very similar work out in a 2 day split except I do 2 sets x 6-8 reps for most excersices with 4-6 warmup sets [read this article on warming up - http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404 ]. If your getting good results keep doing your routine just change up the excersices every few months. Like incline instead of flat bench, dumbbells instead of barbell rows/shoulder press, pull overs instead of flyes, skull crushers instead of tricep pull downs etc...

Also maybe try changing the tempo of your lifts.
ie. 3 seconds in the downward motion, and 3 seconds pushing up slowly.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM

You're still a relative beginner, so I like smiley's plan, a lot. Just go to the gym 3x a week and move heavy weight at high intensity until your body no longer allows it.