Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Default AQo - Too aggressive w top pair

Was I too aggressive here? Should I cut down my aggression a little bit?

Opponent:
vpip 23
wtsd 28
pfr 7

Ultimate Bet
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1./$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(1.5:1)</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(4.5:1)</font>, MP2 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(5.5:1)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(16.5:1)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(8.25:1)</font>.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(12.25:1)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 13.25BB
<font color="white">CO shows 7c 7s</font>
Old 11-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: AQo - Too aggressive w top pair

I wouldn't have capped the flop incase you was on a flush draw and then just called down.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:58 PM

Maybe you should even raise preflop to push out MP2 and to see if CO caps the betting. Now we do not have that information.

Flop: You hit it almost perfectly and checkraises. The cap is also ok since he could be on a flushdraw and is trying for a freecard.

Turn: You bet and he only calls. Considering the flopplay it smells a bit like a made flush: He would also have defended against the flush.

River: Check call I guess is right now. My guess is that he has the nutflush but you don't want to give away the big pot to a pure bluff. There is a small chance that he has KQ but I think that is miniscule.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:05 PM

My only real criticism is the river. I think you need to check call here. Villains play confuses me.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Why is check calling better than bet calling ? Why is villainīs play confusing ?
I was thinking to bet call the river.
Also, what do people think betting out on the flop instead ?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM

OK. I have been taking a lot of stabs at these and running into resistance...that's good because I am trying to improve my game (about 2BB/100 over 25K). I tend to go turtle on the later streets when faced with resistance and probably lose a lot of value, but we only have top pair here. This guy loves his hand on the flop, he calls the turn when the flush draw hits, and then raises the river? Yes. That has me confused. As far as check calling..I agree that was a bad recomendation. I am probably firing the river again and cringing when he raises me, but I can't fold getting 12:1 so I change my vote to bet/call.

Just read those results....Yes, his play is quite confusing. Never would have guessed that hand.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is check calling better than bet calling ? Why is villainīs play confusing ?
I was thinking to bet call the river.
Also, what do people think betting out on the flop instead ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check calling saves a bet if behind, as the BB probably is in this hand, and makes a bet if CO will sometimes bluff.

What range did you put CO on preflop? 77, AJ, KJs maybe at 7% PFR? AQ is behind this range.

I don't think CO play is confusing either. 3 betting a ckr is saying AQ is behind this flop. Do you believe it from this player? Unfortunately there is no real read or post flop aggression frequency given. Given that CO is probably ahead preflop and after this 3 bet, what hands would that give him? 77, QQ, KK, AA, AdKd, AdJd, KdJd(?), AQ, KQ(?)...what else?

Betting out on the flop is strong too because the MP has to be afraid of the raise behind and possible 3 bet. It could have gone, bet, call/fold, raise, 3 bet, (fold), call/cap. You wind up with part of an extra bet if CO caps. But if CO caps you can check/call down without worrying about missing a value bet on the river.

Given the way it played on the flop and the turn card I think both players misplayed the turn. CO knew the BB was not drawing. BB should have ck called down. Since the BB bet, the CO should have raised expecting the river would be checked anyway.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only real criticism is the river. I think you need to check call here. Villains play confuses me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the river seems like an odd line to me. Hero capping the flop slowed Villain down. If Hero leads the turn and is raised again, then I can see calling the turn and check/calling the river. Since Hero didn't get raised on the turn, he is either ahead or has scared Villain into slowing down with his KK or something. The river card doesn't change anything really. If Hero was ahead on the turn, he's probably ahead now, so the river is a nice value bet. If Villain was scared with KK on the turn, he would still be scared on the river most likely and just call a bet himself.

The only hands that make sense for Villain to play this way to me are a grossly overplayed 66 on the flop/turn or a flush/full house where Villain is getting tricky. I'd heavily discount those hands when the river hits, so I don't see a reason to not bet it. After getting raised, 3betting the river would be bad in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 PM

Grunch:
I'm not comfortable capping this flop. Your check raise should be a pretty good indication of strength. Unless you've seen him 3-bet light on the flop, you're either behind or tied right now.

The flush hits on the turn and I'm pretty sure your opponent doesn't think you have it. If he has AdKd or AdJd and was behind on the flop, he just hit.

As played, I check/call the river getting good odds, but I expect to be shown AA/KK/QQ against a good opponent.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Why would you check/call the river?