Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Little League World Series Thread

A great game between Walpole, Ma and Hamilton, OH just ended with the MA centerfielder robbing what would have been a walk-off home run. Hopefully this will be a good series.

Go Mass.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Little League World Series Thread

Yo, respect! I have great memories of watching the LLWS years ago on ESPN, sadly though nowadays any of the Canadian broadcasting stations rarely show any of it.

Brag: I also call home sweet home to the same place that the Canadian representative for the LLWS is: White Rock/South Surrey! These kids are frickin' slammin', by the way. Outscored their opponents in the Canadian nationals 88-8, going 7-0 enroute. First game is against Saudi Arabia... I really hope they become the first Canadian team to take down the LLWS!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brag: I also call home sweet home to the same place that the Canadian representative for the LLWS is: White Rock/South Surrey! These kids are frickin' slammin', by the way. Outscored their opponents in the Canadian nationals 88-8, going 7-0 enroute. First game is against Saudi Arabia... I really hope they become the first Canadian team to take down the LLWS!

[/ QUOTE ]
You're from Canada AND a Yankees fan? That should win you a bad beat jackpot or something.

I was watching this morning, the Canada/Saudi one and then the Mexico/Netherlands one. I am surprised at how bad some of these kids are in the field. Just tons of errors, dropped balls, etc. I mean "they're kids", I get it, but it seems like with all the recruiting going on these days the fielding would be a little better than this. It isn't T-ball. Maybe I just caught them during a bad stretch, but there were seven errors in the Canada game and the two in the first for the Netherlands.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Go Coon Rapids woot
Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're from Canada AND a Yankees fan? That should win you a bad beat jackpot or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 AM

12ressiMorP,

Really? I would love to hear what it is like from a player's perspective. If it was recently, what was all the media like? Playing in AAU Nationals were some of my favorite experiences from my childhood... I can't even imagine if the games were being televised on national TV.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 AM

where can i wager on this?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12ressiMorP,

Really? I would love to hear what it is like from a player's perspective. If it was recently, what was all the media like? Playing in AAU Nationals were some of my favorite experiences from my childhood... I can't even imagine if the games were being televised on national TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea it was back in '96 when Chinese Taipei still cheated and everything. We won the US championship but got whooped in the World Championship game. I actually pitched and took the loss. I did hit a homerun in that game though which was cool. After that year, they kicked Taipei out of the LLWS until they stopped taking kids from all over the country and kids that may have been too old. All in all it was pretty crazy playing in front of 30k fans and being on TV. Kirby Puckett was the guest announcer that year so we met him, which I thought would be awesome. But, he gave us a speech before the World Championship game telling us something like "You're gonna have to play a perfect game to even come close to those guys cuz they are real good. It might still not be enough". So everyone from our team hated him after that. Weird/sick/funny story about one of the kids on the Latin American team: He got caught wacking off in front of a group of girls behind the stadium one day and got in trouble.

We were from a small town so we got treated like celebs for a while. I got mail from girls all over the world for a few years but I was too young to really capitalize on any of that. Myself and the other 2 good players on my team were supposed to go on Jay Leno but our coach didn't let it happen because they didn't invite the whole team. It was also around the time that Playstation first came out and we were supposed to do some promotional stuff at various malls in New England for it and get free [censored] but our coach nixed that also. We got a ton of free bats, gloves, etc from all the companies but our coach kept most of that stuff and just traded it in for new equipment for his teams. So yea, he was a real douche. We met Bill Clinton, and threw out the first pitch at fenway, and got to go on the field at halftime at a Patriot's game. Meeting Clinton was probably the coolest thing we did.

I also got hit with more fastballs to the back than I can count from that day on. All the way up through high school and American Legion, kids that didn't know me pretty much assumed I was an [censored] or was jealous or something and I got hit a lot. A lot of guys I met and played ball with after little league would tell me that they hated me before they met me, which I thought was pretty [censored] up.

That summer also [censored] up my elbow from that point on and I eventually blew it out completely my first year of college ball. It was a trade off that I don't mind because I wasn't going to the majors (unless I seriously juiced up) and we got a national championship and some great memories out of it.

cliff notes: played in the llws. it was pretty awesome eventhough we got crushed by taipei.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:39 PM

I played in the LLWS. Go Mass!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 PM

The best part is when the kids cry.