Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Sunday Million....KK and I\'m hating life

Hi all, I'm still a relative n00b to MTT's, but I have a lot of cash game experience. I apologize if this too simple, but it was the beginning of the end for my tourney.

Level 3 (blinds 50/100). I'm in the BB w/K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and approx. $10,500

Villian is UTG and has me slightly covered. No reads on villian at all, he's only been in 2 or 3 pots and hasn't shown down a hand.

Villian raises to $300, 2 folds, MP calls, folds to button who calls, SB folds. I make it $1600 to go. UTG smooth calls and others fold.

Pot: $4250

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (or similar)

I lead for $2500, villian insta-pushes. I hate life and fold.

Does anybody think there is enough chance of him not having AA here to justify a call? Folding here left me with around half the average stack, and I never recovered, but I did struggle along for a couple more levels. I Almost wonder if calling and busting to AA right then wouldn't have been better. Anybody call here? Should I have played it differently? Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Sunday Million....KK and I\'m hating life

TBH I don't think he ever has aces here... he'd likely re-raise pre-flop as most million donks do (they either slowplay or fastplay, no in between call of the 3-bet). The only hand that beats you is JJ, and occasionally, but not likely, 88 does this also.

He does this with QJ+, TT sometimes, JJ+, and air if he's a donk.

So you're behind two of them and have most of his range dominated. If this is a different tourney then you have a tougher call, but I instacall this.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM

i stack off
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM

To me it seems like you're beat but at this point you have to call. You have a good chunk of your chips already in the pot and I always like try accumulating chips early on in tournaments. People always say "you can wait for a better spot" but it is hard to find another great spot, especially in online tournaments when the blinds are going to escalade quicker than you think. Say 2 levels later you pick up Kings and you still have decent chips and you raise preflop and get called and flop an Ace? Now at this point, you are stuck in a really bad spot because you raised a good chunk of your chips away preflop. The reason I say this is because say you had called and won with the KK. Then later on you get those kings again with 2x as many chips and that Ace flops. Now you can get away from the hand without having to sweat the fact you barely have any chips left. I know this sounds confusing but what I'm trying to get at is that you need to accumulate chips in spots where you may have the best of it. Can't just fold your way to the final table...
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me it seems like you're beat but at this point you have to call. You have a good chunk of your chips already in the pot and I always like try accumulating chips early on in tournaments. People always say "you can wait for a better spot" but it is hard to find another great spot, especially in online tournaments when the blinds are going to escalade quicker than you think. Say 2 levels later you pick up Kings and you still have decent chips and you raise preflop and get called and flop an Ace? Now at this point, you are stuck in a really bad spot because you raised a good chunk of your chips away preflop. The reason I say this is because say you had called and won with the KK. Then later on you get those kings again with 2x as many chips and that Ace flops. Now you can get away from the hand without having to sweat the fact you barely have any chips left. I know this sounds confusing but what I'm trying to get at is that you need to accumulate chips in spots where you may have the best of it. Can't just fold your way to the final table...

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely get what you're saying here. And I agree that it's a lot easier playing with a big stack. I guess I'm just having trouble finding the line between accumulating chips and spewing chips. In this hand, I just couldn't come up with a range that a sane player would take this line with that I beat. Maybe I need to rethink the ranges I put these players on. What range do you think plays like this from an average Million player? Does AK make this move thinking he'll take me off of AK? Maybe. I could see QQ or JJ playing his hand this way, and I beat one of those.

At the time, I really thought the smooth-call (with 2 live players behind), insta-push line looked like only AA, but if his range includes moves with AK and QQ, then I'm definately getting proper odds to call, and I guess I should have.

I still have a lot to learn about MTT play. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Wait you didn't actually fold right?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM

horrible fold
Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Really? Wow. Since he hadn't hardly played a hand in 2.5 rounds, I kinda discounted him being an idiot, but I've only played the Million a couple of times, and you may be right. Just seems like a weird time to make that play on me after I've shown so much strength. I hadn't been splashing around, and he wouldn't have had a lot of reason to think I was weaker than I was representing. So those kind of moves are typical early in the Million? Now I really wish I would've called..... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 PM

It's close but think this was a good fold - you beat exactly QQ here and I dunno that QQ jams the flop. Poker tournaments are frustrating as hell sometimes.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have a lot of cash game experience

[/ QUOTE ]
stakes?