Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Default When a resteal goes bad

I've been dabbling with $3 rebuys on PS (both 1M sats and the regular cash tourneys) and the post rebuy play is MUCH different than the 4/180s I've been frequenting. In a good way - I'm actually playing poker.

I found myself ITM (but not too far into it yet) with a good stack and a favorable table image. I'd been playing aggressively preflop, stealing and restealing well - the table was appropriately tight for this. It just so happens that when I was looked up I had the goods every time and only really had to lay down 3 or 4 hands when played back at.

I found myself in a particular situation that I was completely lost with. Don't have the HH so I'll try to set it up.

I'm third to act preflop, and the UTG villain has been raising (and stealing) quite a bit, especially from UTG. I pulled two resteals on him over the last hour or so (one when he raised UTG); he folded preflop each time.

UTG has about 120% of my stack. My M is about 20 or so. He makes a standard raise (~3.5BB). I reraise to 10 BB (about 1/4 of my stack) with 63o - total junk. It folds around to villain, who thinks for about 20 seconds then calls.

I don't like the length of this pause. Seems too Hollywood ... like he wants me to think he's questioning the call when in fact it's a no brainer. That, or he was thinking about raising.

Flop comes all overs to my air. Villain checks to me and I check behind.

Turn blanks. Villain donk bets. Really. Solid villain min bets a pot with over 20 BBs in it.

That smelled so much like a trap, and there isn't a single river card that can come that improves my hand above the level of bluff catcher - fifth pair or play the board. I felt dirty and like a complete wuss, but I folded.

So, when you resteal with complete air and get action, how do you handle it? What kinds of hands would villain make these plays with? I had no concept of villain's range; only that I was sure it beat me. But since I couldn't form a range, I couldn't come up with a betting line that would get him to fold for minimum risk.

What I can put the villain on is putting me on a mediocre at best holding. I'm sure villain thought he was ahead thus the donk turn bet. That bet shold have about ZERO fold equity, unless hero holds 63o ... oh wait.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: When a resteal goes bad

what was your postion relative to the UTG raiser. This is a pretty risky move if you are not in late position regardless of how often UTG is stealing. I usaully go ahead and bet the flop when I resteal. If you really think he is strong though you can just give up on the flop. You can't really call his bet on the turn and I think if you were going to make a play at thepot you should have done so on the flop.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 AM

I have no idea why you raise PF with this...I think this would possibly get an "Even Nath would fold this" stamp as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why you raise PF with this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he believes he can win the pot without seeing a flop.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well duh. Seems like an incredibly crappy resteal...also, how does OP actually know that villain is stealing from UTG? Has he shown any hands? Or is it nothing but a theory? One fold by villain from UTG to a resteal != every raise from UTG a steal from villain...also, with OP restealing as much as he evidently has, would make it apparent (no, not to everyone) that he's full of crap a lot of the time...
Old 05-31-2006, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well duh. Seems like an incredibly crappy resteal...also, how does OP actually know that villain is stealing from UTG? Has he shown any hands? Or is it nothing but a theory? One fold by villain from UTG to a resteal != every raise from UTG a steal from villain...also, with OP restealing as much as he evidently has, would make it apparent (no, not to everyone) that he's full of crap a lot of the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Semantics. This isn't a resteal hand then, it's a steal hand. Stealing from UTG.

What do you call it when you think someone is raising AT/KJish and you reraise him?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like the length of this pause. Seems too Hollywood ... like he wants me to think he's questioning the call when in fact it's a no brainer. That, or he was thinking about raising.

What kinds of hands would villain make these plays with? I had no concept of villain's range; only that I was sure it beat me. But since I couldn't form a range, I couldn't come up with a betting line that would get him to fold for minimum risk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your reads say fold, you'd stolen off him twice before so I don't see anything wrong with folding here! Anyone else?

[ QUOTE ]

So, when you resteal with complete air and get action, how do you handle it?

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to consider whether they've had enough of you restealing off them and they are therefore making a play on you. His call to your raise, possibly means he might have something, with a PP he might have re-raised though.
Personally, I say good fold.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Very easy fold. Re-stealing with air is a one shot bluff. You want to fold to resistance because 1. you are almost certainly behind & 2. you do not want to show down 6-3o here.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I usaully go ahead and bet the flop when I resteal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shove a probe bet in on the flop ?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 PM

So after you resteal for almost half your stack and you have done it to him 2x already and he is last 2 act, he prob will look you up regardless of what he has, knowing that he maybe be able to get this pot for cheap, knowing that his checking and or small bet will have you pot committed anyways also the fact that it will send odd vibes of monster across the table. His stalling obv already had you thinking twice about the resteal. Just my read on the situation, almost half your stack was in the pot right??