Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Omaha 8/ob really interesting hand

Ok this is a really interesting hand I think. So im in the BB with

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Sweet hand right?. This is online at absolute poker 2-4 table. The game is playing pretty tight so I figure ive got the aces and most everyone will fold. So the button calls the sb completes and I... raise? My justification was that having 3 aces it seemed very unlikely that a button limper had A2 and more likely had an inferior low draw to my A3 and I did have a pair of aces which could win the high much better heads up if the sb drops out.

But they both call and the dlop is a nice

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks I bet, button and SB call.

Is that bet good? I think so.

Turn card is the nice

6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB Checks, I bet, Button Raises, SB Reraises, I fold, Button calls

So I think I played this hand correctly preflop and I like my flop and turn bet and the turn fold. Any comments about how I could play it better?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8/ob really interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet hand right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Just making sure you know you can't use all of those aces at the same time?

[ QUOTE ]
The game is playing pretty tight so I figure ive got the aces and most everyone will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a good way to think. Most players at the 2/4 level will happily play crap like 4567 or J725.

I like the flop bet as a continuation bet, but when they don't go away you have to reevaluate the situation.

On the turn I'd simply check and then probably fold. The pot is quite small, and you're most likely drawing at half of it, at best.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM

To everyone who said it wasnt really a nice hand i agree. i was joking. Haha, get it. But I still think that it was something worth playing heads up against the button if I could force the SB out. I generally liked the 6 on the turn to be honest. If someone doesnt have one now my AA will probably hold up for the high and I think ive got the low draw.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:43 AM

odomination,
I also will play a hand like this in an unraised pot in late position. But you have to be aware (which I think you are) that it is not a strong hand unless you hit a perfect flop. For instance, recently I held K, K, K, Ar in the BB and checked. The flop was: A,A,K believe it or not.
But that's rare (although fun of course).
What worries me is you saying here that you "liked the 6 on the turn to be honest"...because this shows to me a misunderstanding of the game.
In O8 two pair, even with Aces, is a drawing hand, and I wouldn't have been happy to see the board pair with that 6. It's the wrong card for what we need.
You did the right thing to fold after the check-raise, but I disagree with your bet on the turn - in O8 you're not going to push out someone who has a nut hand, which someone very likely had here, and you *didn't* have it, so you could have saved the money on that bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Thank you everyone for your very thoughtful responses. After having reexamined the way that I played the hand on each street I think that the preflop raise is good as is the flop bet. I agree with everyone though that on the turn I should slow down after getting 2 callers on the flop. I guess its time for the results. I folded to the 3 bet by the sb and the button called. River came the 5H.

SB Bets
Button Calls

SB shows 8 6 J K (full house)
Button shows A 3 7 J (A3 low)

So in hindsight if the SB didnt play hands for tools then id have quartered the button but thats why this was a good game I guess. The one question that I will ask is if I do check the turn and the button checks it behind me and the river comes a K or a Q... SB checks, should I value bet. I say yes, anyone else?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM

AAA3 is pure junk. You're hoping for the low, and it's not even for the nuts. Your only hope for high is for your 2 aces to hold up (and one pair in this game means nothing, especially against 2+ players) or a long shot straight. You're in the big blind with an absolutely hideous hand. Check preflop and don't hope for much.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AAA3 is pure junk. You're hoping for the low, and it's not even for the nuts. Your only hope for high is for your 2 aces to hold up (and one pair in this game means nothing, especially against 2+ players) or a long shot straight. You're in the big blind with an absolutely hideous hand. Check preflop and don't hope for much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm not sure it's that bad. I don't have a lot of O8 experience but I had read trips are always junk. However I checked it out and I have it producing an EV of 1.4 against 2 other random hands, no folds.

Obviously, you aren't playing 2 random hands - though button limping and SB completeing don't show great strength either and I guess having the 3 of the aces is good. I'm not sure I'd raise with it pre-flop, but it's closer than I thought. I'd certainly play it out of the button if nobody else limped, maybe I'd even raise. Before looking at this I'd have mucked it without thinking.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Are you for real. I dont assume that AAA3 is a raisable hand in first position (or even very playable) but when it folds to the button who limps and the sb completes I've gotta assume that my A3 low (with only one A left in the deck) is good. Given the situation I think that I have to be agressive with this hand, not just give it up because "you have trips, trips blow"
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM

AAA3 suited is total trash, ESPECIALLY after it's folded to the button. The extra 6% chance of flopping a set makes AA39 greatly superior to AAA3. And of course, don't forget that your opponents are MUCH MORE LIKELY to have A2 when you're holding AAA3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AAA3 is pure junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
timotheeeee - You really should consider the suitedness of the cards. Rainbow AAA3 (which I represent as AAA3n) is not equivalent to AAA3-suited (which I represent as AAA3s). Playing the nut flush draw in hearts is worth serious consideraton. In addition, knowing the location of three of the aces is an advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
You're hoping for the low, and it's not even for the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Partly true. Yes, Hero would like to flop the nut low or the nut low draw, and for either of those, Hero needs a deuce on the flop. But having three aces cuts down on the possibility of encountering an ace-deuce in the hand of an opponent. Normally, in this size game, ace-trey will run afoul of an ace-deuce about half the time. But with three aces in his hand, Hero, if he does make low, will usually have the winning low.

[ QUOTE ]
Your only hope for high is for your 2 aces to hold up

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all. You forgot the nut heart flush draw, and there is a possible low straight (wheel) and a full house, trips, or two pairs. In addition, having three aces has threat value.

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the big blind with an absolutely hideous hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. It's certainly not a premium starting hand, but I'd generally voluntarily see the flop with it from almost any position. (Whether I raise or not before the flop with any hand depends mainly on what I think the effect will be on my opponents). It's a hand with which you can "play poker."

Even as a rainbow hand, AAA3n is, in my humble opinion, quite playable.

Just my opinion.

Buzz