Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Default help me settle an argument - jamie gold

how good is he? the world's best? or just an average player who ran good? or not even an average player? not looking to bash him or anything just for some opinion.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: help me settle an argument - jamie gold

He had top top! He must be good.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had top top! He must be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! I THOUGHT YOU SAID CHOP CHOP!

NO, I SAID TOP TOP!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 PM

he's the world champion so yes he is the world's best.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 PM

He held the chip lead in the Main Event over the last 3 days. He won despite 2 million extra chips falling into opponents hands. He quite literally dominated the Main Event more than any other player in history. And it was the largest live tourney field ever. Clearly he is best in World.

Thread over.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 PM

He seems like an above average player. I find it very hard to believe that a complete donkey could make it through a field of 8,500 in a 10 day poker tournament.

Anyway, I hear a lot of Gold bashing, but one thing that impressed me about his game was his chatter. Some people probably don't think it's a very good idea, but his constant talking almost always got the result he wanted from his opponent. He seemed adept at getting players to fold or call with his running commentary.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM

"He seems like an above average player. I find it very hard to believe that a complete donkey could make it through a field of 8,500 in a 10 day poker tournament."

Exactly. If we take 35 hands an hour and he played about 10hrs per day for 7 days that's 2450 hands. No way a bad player, like say a semi-loose passive/aggressive, could run hotter than thousands of others over 2450 hands. It's simply not possible as we can also assume that there were probably hundreds of TAGs in the field that would simple decimate the hypothetical semi-loose passive/aggressive player over this gigantic sample of hands.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"He seems like an above average player. I find it very hard to believe that a complete donkey could make it through a field of 8,500 in a 10 day poker tournament."

Exactly. If we take 35 hands an hour and he played about 10hrs per day for 7 days that's 2450 hands. No way a bad player, like say a semi-loose passive/aggressive, could run hotter than thousands of others over 2450 hands. It's simply not possible as we can also assume that there were probably hundreds of TAGs in the field that would simple decimate the hypothetical semi-loose passive/aggressive player over this gigantic sample of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok good, I was worried that your last post wasn't sarcastic.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 PM

who knows if you saw it, but i posted this here a couple of days ago...

Despite all the surrounding distraction, he played variable aggression, tricky, perceptive poker with his heart on his sleeve. He's lets it all hang out. It appears like it's a journey that he is taking with his opponents, not against them. He gets much hate, not enough love.

It's not like the WSOP ME event winner needs defending for capturing the largest field in tourney history, but his brand of lag style was perfect for his cards/his crown. his bravado and ease of being was perfect for playing in the meta game. and, his, "i'm just pulling the wool over your eyes with truth" keeps him centered, locked in. opponents are spun. even his disingenuity is genuine.

j gold ftw. getting hit with the deck helps as much as he helped himself to leverage it.

i mean, not everyone can be as blessed as Robert Varkonyi.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I clearly remember Jamie Gold telling me (er an interviewer) that he had Allen Cunningham completely fooled and that all the pros said he played the ME perfect. I would not be surprised given this knowledge if he doesn't win it this year as well. In fact, I'd say he is the undeniable favorite. Provided something crazy doesn't happen he might win it for about seven or so years and then pull a Lance and retire kinda just to let someone else win it/because he is tired of it.