Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Thoughts on the WSOP FT

The poker and competitiveness of this FT were decent. And the players seemed to show some emotion between hands. But I'm not real thrilled with the development that every player now plays every hand like a zombie, is completely hidden behind a hat and dark shades, and a walking NASCAR billboard from the neck down. Compare that with just a few years ago the Moneymaker or Fossilman final tables.

I don't think this image is going to suck in casual fans anymore than me seeing a highlight of a pro bass fisherman makes me want to start fishing again. It's just so far removed from the everyday experience of the casual participant. I guess we'll wait to see what editing and lighting tricks ESPN can do to gussy this one up.

Maybe things would have been totally different if Khan wins his race against Yang. I got the feeling I was possibly watching the birth of a poker star in his time in the booth with Phil Gordon. Dude can talk. And at 22. Pretty impressive. The utter randomness of Rainkhan making the FT was my personal Moneymaker-moment for this WSOP.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the WSOP FT

suzzer,

I didn't see Khan interviewed by Phil, but I watched his PokerNews bustout interview and he came off really great. Unfortunately, rather than excitement and enthusiasm, his antics at the table came off super idiotic imo.

I think this FT is going to show you the power of editing by a professional team at a big money outfit like ESPN. I'm thinking some well edited shots of Jerry praying to the Lord will help set up an epic confrontation of good God-fearing Christian vs. serious hardcore gamblers like The Russian and The Pro (Canadian Asian dude).

The progression of table talk from "YOU CALL, IT ALL OVER, BABY!" to what we saw at this year's FT is indeed sad. Definitely the most serious (and boring) feeling group of guys in recent years.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]

I think this FT is going to show you the power of editing by a professional team at a big money outfit like ESPN. I'm thinking some well edited shots of Jerry praying to the Lord will help set up an epic confrontation of good God-fearing Christian vs. serious hardcore gamblers like The Russian and The Pro (Canadian Asian dude).

[/ QUOTE ]

could we just call it a god's chosen ones vs heathens confrontation?

I agree with the OPs assertion that the players wearing all the logos is bad for the game. Also, the whole, hey, look, my hat, glasses and hands all now cover my face makes it look like the least fun game possible. Yesterday def was not a good day for the future of poker imo.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM

My question is how in the eff does Oliver Tse always manage to glom on to final table players?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is how in the eff does Oliver Tse always manage to glom on to final table players?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Corner player (he is good at this)

2. Slag Poker Royalty

3. Paint Balsbaugh a thief and liar.

4. Repeat 3.

5. Assure player how generous he is being by "only taking 10%"

6. ??????????

7. Profit.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Who is Oliver Tse?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Slag Poker Royalty

4. Repeat 3.

6. ??????????

7. Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Slag Poker Royalty

4. Repeat 3.

6. ??????????

7. Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i kind of almost wish he had found me last year and sold my korean card...he did approach me this year and told me to contact him if i made the final 36...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suzzer,

I didn't see Khan interviewed by Phil, but I watched his PokerNews bustout interview and he came off really great. Unfortunately, rather than excitement and enthusiasm, his antics at the table came off super idiotic imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you missed something with that interview. He had some stream of consciousness thing tying in 9/11, Iraq, and "all the anamalistic qualities that make us young" that was some kind of mad genius.

Also the dancing at the table stuff definitely seemed forced and contrived to me. Like making sure he got one major antic highlight in to jumpstart his poker celebrity. Probably not a bad idea actually. Look at Brandi who is almost legitimate now. Attaining notoriety is the hardest part of becoming a celeb, people tend to forgive and forget how you got there. Khan really needed to last longer at the FT though.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM

suzzer,

From what I saw, not only did he not last long, his chipstack didn't really let him get involved in much of anything. Wouldn't be surprised to see them either largely edit him out or cast him as a complete buffoon.

It'll be interesting to see how the telecast plays out given that the first few were out so fast, but then the last few battled for a long time.