Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 AM

Default that \"eerie\" feeling pt.2 ..new to full ring...25/50 PS v. empire2000

Let me preface this post by saying I have absolutely no clue how to play FR and feel extremely lost. I almost never limp in 6 max but people are limping all over the place full ring so I decide to try it out. Original raiser in this hand is "grumpyrage" and the villian in the hand is Empire2000...I don't think he knows who I am but I'm pretty sure that he is one of the biggest winners in the game.

I flop bottom set on a 3flush board. I check, villian bets, Roman calls, I reraise. Now, what do people think of this play? I'm basically trying to get it in on this flop. Should I just lead out/raise? Anyways the original raiser folds and Roman double calls. At this point I put his range on a flopped flush, a higher set, an overpair+heart, or the Ah. I'm really not sure what else he can have.

The turn, Ah, is such a weird card...I have no idea how to react to it.

It's clear he didn't have the ace of hearts.

What is your plan of action on the rest of the hand? What do you put him on?

If you decide to check, and he shoves, what do you do?

Advice on all streets welcome....

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $25/$50 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $5,518.35
BB: $1,300.00
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $7,155.00</font>
UTG+1: $6,321.00
MP: $23,502.70
CO: $6,483.55
BTN: $2,256.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7 Players)
Hero calls $50.00, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $200.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $200.00, 3 folds, Hero calls $150.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($675) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $400.00</font>, CO calls $400.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1,900.00</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $1,500.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($4875) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero???
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: that \"eerie\" feeling pt.2 ..new to full ring...25/50 PS v. empire2

this is a pretty weird spot. I can't imagine he'd slowplay a flush or a set any further once you put in the big c/r, unless its the nut flush, and obviously he cant have that. But then what else is he calling that big c/r with?

Part of me wants to shove turn as a bluff/semibluff, but our range seems a lot more like a set than anything else, and he'll probably be able to make a big call with a higher set or any heart. I think c/f may be a better plan here.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: that \"eerie\" feeling pt.2 ..new to full ring...25/50 PS v. empire2000

Ugh.. bad situation. Obviously check. If he pushes.. well I puke and prolly call but its close. I mean your not getting quite good enough odds to call if he has a flush here 100% of the time when he pushes, but maybe he bluff-pushes with an ace or something. I dunno. I think the possiblity of running into a higher set turns this into a fold actually.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: that \"eerie\" feeling pt.2 ..new to full ring...25/50 PS v. empire2000

spino, maybe i should stay out of hsnl threads but how the f does he have an ace to bluff with?!? i don't really see how he can have any bluffing hand, but let's leave that alone and focus on... seriously, what hand containing an ace (and no heart!) are you thinking of?

edit in the interest of keeping my thoughts all in one post: dj and dlp's posts imply we're mostly thinking about sets, flushes, and the ace of hearts on the flop, and then whoa there's the ace of hearts. Is red kings or queens played weird preflop another possible type of hand, or are those too unlikely preflop + fold the flop the second time? I'm guessing a bare non-ace high heart is very unlikely.

generally it seems very unlikely you're ahead, so you have to bluff or give up, with the nice bonus that you have more equity against the hands that have an easier call (flushes).
Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: that \"eerie\" feeling pt.2 ..new to full ring...25/50 PS v. empire2

I don't see how you're ahead here honestly, given it's full ring your checkraise looks real strong. Two pair is possible I guess, but that's pretty much what you beat. Unfortunately I think you have to check and fold, but it's probably close since pot is so big.

Semibluffing here probably only folds out the smallest of his flushes, since he'll figure you bet all your flushes in this spot to protect from his likely set. Small flushes are also more likely to put more money in on the flop. He'll probably be able to make a big call with overset fairly often since he seems like a sick handreader.

Pushing is not terrible since pot is big, and even good players make mistakes, and he is probably 12tabling or something, but I think he will play very well against your particular hand, and you're not ahead a lot.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 AM

What are people trying to represent by pushing here?

Villan seems to have a hand like QhQx?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM

i like semibluffing here.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM

OMG two way bet time!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 AM

kind of curious about what roman just flat calls with on the flop there... even more so when the Ah hits the turn. I would think he would just push flush