Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM

Default 600NLHUCASH idiot straight four straight board situation

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($572.50)
Button ($626.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $18</font>, Hero calls $12.

Flop: ($36) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($36) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $36

Preflop sucks probably. However, I am more interested in postflop play.

It is early in the match, nothing significant happened so far. I don't have aggressive image, villain is unknown. You think there is a place for such value bet? If I played with villain for some time, I would probably have aggressive image and could double barrell for value, but since he is unknown, you think c/c turn is better? And if it goes c/c turn, you c/c or c/f river? If he checks behind turn, I value bet river, of course.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: 600NLHUCASH idiot straight four straight board situation

Postflop , you played it fine .

You checked because it is unlikely a c-bet would work given the texture and you bet the turn when you hit your straight . I'm sure if you had an ace , you would have played it the same way .
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop , you played it fine .

You checked because it is unlikely a c-bet would work given the texture and you bet the turn when you hit your straight . I'm sure if you had an ace , you would have played it the same way .

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't the aggressor preflop. I was defender. I would also c bet this all day if I was aggressor but I was defender. That changes things a little bit.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 AM

I think I play this the same way you did. That said I also think c/c turn and c/c river is fine against said villain. Perhaps c/f river if both his turn and river bets are very large.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Looks standard.

Basically, many hands with an A in it c-bet here, and a myriad of raising hands with K, J, Q here must bet in order to protect and/or for value. Maybe not the J hands, but if a J does check, then the A is still scary to it, as is the Q. So, yeah, this works out very well.

Barry
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM

If you had a hand like a-5 or a-6 , I'm not too thrilled about betting this flop . If your make a two-thirds size flop bet and it's successful at least 40% of the time , then go ahead and make the c-bet . In fact , it may be correct to lead out if it's successful a bit less than that because you do have some outs . The problem is , with this flop texture , it's unlikely your c-bet will be successful too often .

A very similar problem to this was discussed in the new ftp book where Chris Ferguson offers his opinion on how to play the flop properly .
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A very similar problem to this was discussed in the new ftp book where Chris Ferguson offers his opinion on how to play the flop properly .

[/ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly (and my memory sucks, so I could be misremembering), weren't those problems all based on play at a full or nearly full tournament table?

Playing against one hand is *very* different from playing the best hand out of 9.

I probably wouldn't try to take the lead away with a bare ace on this flop, but I would c-bet it a lot of the time if I had the lead.

Of course, if I do have the lead, then for the most part I'm either in position or this flop hit me somehow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Bet and obviously fold if more money goes in is fine. The other line is to check call, basically let him bluff. Without a read both works, important thing is to remember which line you took for history purposes

Nice to see you at the 3-6 tables now, good luck
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet and obviously fold if more money goes in is fine. The other line is to check call, basically let him bluff. Without a read both works, important thing is to remember which line you took for history purposes

Nice to see you at the 3-6 tables now, good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for your wishes. GL to you too.

So basically there are two ways of playing this hand: aggressive and passive. If I take aggressive line and it goes b/c, do you prefer b/f or just c/c river? What do you prefer?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM

I rather make a value bet on the river