Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Wow, I suck...

I think I need a break. I've been playing bad and getting unlucky for the last 3 days or so, dropping 1/4 of my profits for the year. It's not all that much to begin with, since I'm a low limit player, but it still pisses me off and I feel myself going on tilt. Some of the losses are in SnGs, where I'm pretty sure I'm playing good, aggressive poker, but I'm getting called by hands that I wouldn't think call in bubble situations. Other times, I get run down by runner-runner something. Even if I'm a coin flip before the hand, the runner-runner aspect puts me on tilt.

Urgh. Take a week off, get back into it, get focused. That's the plan. Of course, I'm headed to Vegas in 2 weeks. I might blow off the WSOP that I had been planning on playing, and just sticking to fishy side games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Wow, I suck...

You won't hear this from anyone but I think you should move up in limits. It can be hard to change your game to play fish if you are thinking to far over there heads.
You can bring your thinking down to there level and beat them, but then it becomes hard to play better players.
If you can change your game to play lower/higher limits with ease then stay at the lower limits until you build your role, then move up.
Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will always (variance aside) be victorious.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should move up in limits

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way is to be able to adjust your play according to who you're playing. If, however, you find that hard, maybe moving up a bit might be ok.

A word of warning though, I've encountered donks at $5/$10 NL and $20/$40 limit. Just not as many.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You won't hear this from anyone but I think you should move up in limits. It can be hard to change your game to play fish if you are thinking to far over there heads.
You can bring your thinking down to there level and beat them, but then it becomes hard to play better players.
If you can change your game to play lower/higher limits with ease then stay at the lower limits until you build your role, then move up.
Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will always (variance aside) be victorious.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you won't. That because its been proven, time and time again, to be a bad idea. In fact, when someone around here recommends it, they are usually leveling. But it didn't seem like you were leveling.

The worse the players around you, the greater your edge. If you cannot adjust to bad players I doubt very highly that you can beat good players.

I think the OP should not move up levels. He should look at his game intensely, and determine if he's playing poorly, and make any necessary adjustments.
Take a few days off, and back at it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 PM

No, you won't. That because its been proven, time and time again, to be a bad idea. In fact, when someone around here recommends it, they are usually leveling. But it didn't seem like you were leveling.

The worse the players around you, the greater your edge. If you cannot adjust to bad players I doubt very highly that you can beat good players.

I think the OP should not move up levels. He should look at his game intensely, and determine if he's playing poorly, and make any necessary adjustments.
Take a few days off, and back at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What use of the word leveling are you useing? Do you mean at what level he plays or that I was trying to knock him down?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM

He is using leveling to mean 'as a joke'.

They know that they are just joking, but the observer doesn't know that they know. Hence their thinking is a 'level' above.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is using leveling to mean 'as a joke'.

They know that they are just joking, but the observer doesn't know that they know. Hence their thinking is a 'level' above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I did think I was getting leveled here.

Yes, I do need to step back and examine my game. I also think that I need to move back DOWN in limits and re-establish some basics, such as not bluffing calling stations, and playing tight in early position. Solid poker at low limit cash games wins the money. In SnGs, I'm comfortable with pushbotting late in the tournament, but I might need to tighten up my pushing standards. Pushing with 83 is crap when the opponent is likely to call with 98. I just need to be more willing to pick my spots sometimes, rather than think "Hey, this is +EV, let's do it!"

Yesterday (playing live), I still caught my fair share of middle pairs rivering 2 pair to beat my TPTK, but I'm pretty comfortable with the way I played. I'm going back to review SSHE.

And no, I'm not moving up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]