Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Default MrTile: the new \"Jedansky\"??

I first had this guy on my buddy list -- god-awful preflop stats. But doesn't seem all that out of line post-flop, except jams pots hard. He's also one of the biggest winners in my SH DB. And he plays 6 - 8 SH tables from 20/40 up thru 50/100. You wouldn't last real long doing that unless you had some SH skill. So is this guy good or will those preflop stats eventually catch up with him?

(if it's not cool to discuss individual players, mods, just delete this)
Old 02-19-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: MrTile: the new \"Jedansky\"??

He's the biggest winner in my database too. I think he's very good post flop.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:44 PM

hes a lagfish
Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hes a lagfish

[/ QUOTE ]
Altho i have seen him get considerably better over the last month, he will not continue to be the biggest winner in your database.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:03 AM

Default He is tough post flop.

I have played thousands of hands with Mr. Tile. We started playing against each other in 15-30 6max private games, around June of 2004.

I used to get the better of him on a consistent basis. However, I have noticed over the last 6 months or so that he has gotten very tricky and tough to beat. He has become very talented at betting low pairs for value against overcards on the turn and river.

Don't let those stats fool you: I would venture to say that they are based on his extensive shorthanded play (heads up to maybe 5 players).

I used to welcome sitting down at his table. That is no longer the case.

TSP
Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 AM

Default Re: He is tough post flop.

it seems like a lot of the big lags just naturally learn to play well. either that or they go broke. this dispels any thought that maybe there is a school of thinking that yields this style and gives weight to the theory that playing LAG (i don't know if you've read daniel negreanu talk about his "party days" where he plays a smaller game than usual like a maniac, to get into the mind of the maniac) forces a player into tougher situations and he thus either runs out of money to play with or adapts and picks up on patterns. this could also provide evidence for why there are so few good LAGs. it's much harder to add a whole bunch of hands than it is to play the style all along and eventually learn to read hands and take advantage of your maniacal image.

also, the op is a big stat guy so i would bet those stats are sorted, probably for something like 4-6 handed play
Old 02-20-2006, 03:47 AM

Josh,

I think a lot of these big LAG winners were brought up without the S&M line of thinking and adapted in playing numerous pots because it felt natural and fun, not because there was a certain element to playing more hands and getting better at hand reading to extract a little more, but rather playing more hands just felt natural and the hand reading would come along for those who would last and end up winning. The others just became bad LAGs and went broke.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 AM

i am not a particularly good writer and sometimes i use too many words to describe something simple, which can be confusing. what you just wrote is what i tried to write but a lot simpler
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like a lot of the big lags just naturally learn to play well. either that or they go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they win the variance lottery. A blissful minority of them will and the success of those few is not a justification for their style.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have played thousands of hands with Mr. Tile. We started playing against each other in 15-30 6max private games, around June of 2004.

I used to get the better of him on a consistent basis. However, I have noticed over the last 6 months or so that he has gotten very tricky and tough to beat. He has become very talented at betting low pairs for value against overcards on the turn and river.

Don't let those stats fool you: I would venture to say that they are based on his extensive shorthanded play (heads up to maybe 5 players).
TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - filtered for 5 and 6-handed play.