Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM

Default The \"After-midnight-one-gibbering-donkey-per-table\" rule

I generally play $11-33 6-handed STTs and found that at certain times of night you encounter one of these repetative alliners right from the outset. What range of hands do you in general call these people with? General calculations suggest that unless you get a premium hand then many "good" hands will be a 65/35 fave against this random action. Do I assume that many of you serious players will accept a 35% chance of busting out (say as an example AQo Vs. J5o - this sent me out last night on hand 3) for a chance of an early double up?

Perhaps this is a no-brainer action and an accepted risk when confronted with this type of player but do positive ROI players readily accept this 35% chance of busting out?
What effect would position have on your decision (say you have to act directly after the aforementioned bingo donk)?

Would this be a no-brainer at any level of STT?

Thanks and I accept this question may have been done to death - just point me to a thread because I cannot easily find one here.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: The \"After-midnight-one-gibbering-donkey-per-table\" rule

Without reads, fold with AQ against a push. Pick your own spots to push. Don't call them.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:04 PM

I call them with a very good hands. The way I see it I am in no hurry. The more the other players get tired of the guy before I do, the better for me.

No need to gamble it up with a guy who wants to gamble it up. If you find a hand that is bound to be way ahead of his range (AQs, TT+ or whatever) go for it, but don't rush action.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM

I have no problem taking AQ vs J5, but only if I'm closing the action. Don't get so caught up in the all-in donk that you forget that there are other players at the table. It isn't necessary for you to bust this guy, he'll run into a hand soon enough.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Thanks guys. Just to confirm, this guy allined on all three of the first hands - so I figured my hand was good although I accept that I'm 65% at best so it probably wasn't the best move third hand in. I'm referring to the sort of people that will keep doing this until they double or bust which seem to be more prevalent the later into the night you are.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:26 PM

I'd call AQ there every time.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call AQ there every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

against an auto pushbotter from hand 1, i would also. probably not less though.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM

If he's really, really maniacal, I'm probably going to call with a pretty wide range indeed. AQ is more than enough hand; KQ would pretty frequently be enough for me. I think I gain enough by grabbing those chips that I don't want to wait for a perfect spot to do so because I know other people are likely thinking in the same way.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Call all day w/ AQ here if you are sure he is a pushbotter (I dont think I could make the call w/ KQ though). Also, when making a call like this you have to take into account how many ppl there are still to act b/c you dont want someone to wake up w/ a hand and call you both. This is more important the the lower the lvl as people may be calling here with wider ranges (for example a medium pocket pair).
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the continuing information - this is all great stuff. It's odd because initially I find that I like the idea of a donkey pusher in the game but it can be a double edged sword it seems - especially in a short handed tournament where there may be a pressure to "get in there quick" before someone else does or he himself doubles up through someone else thus reducing the game to a lotto due to the fact that 1st is the only position worth playing for (2nd pays merely something like +35% of the buy in - 15 for an 11 game)

Maybe in a full table STT there is a benefit to having him there and there is more scope and time to see how a game develops.